Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for mortgage question about Student Loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Applying for mortgage question about Student Loan

Here's my situation. I'm in the military and currently serving in South West Asia been here 1 month 11 to go. Upon returning I have to move from New Mexico to Missouri. Trying to do anything I can to raise my FICO score before I have to apply for a mortgage. CR shows these negatives 1 CC 60 days late 12/04 8/04, 1 shows 3 30 days late 04/08, 9/06, 6/06. I have a Spa loan CL is 6790, HB 7650, RB 6140 RB below CL nothing I can do about HB being over CL promotional deferred interest will this hurt? before deploying I was paying off debt at $1000 a month now paying off $2000. CC card will all be paid in 2 months plan on leaving 10% on 2 cards.  I have a consolidation loan that will also be paid off before I apply for mortgage. That leaves 2 auto loans and the Spa loan.

Here's the real question, I co-signed for my son's student loan CL 9000 recent balance 11000 entry on CR says open never late deferred interest until nov 2011. Should I pay this down below CL or attack the spa payment. I would like to eventually help or pay this off for my son however I would like to be Debt free first other that one auto and one mortgage before helping him. If it makes financial since/raises FICO score enough I would do that first.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
A1Credit
Established Contributor

Re: Applying for mortgage question about Student Loan

Hi, I recently went through the same thing so I understand your concern.  As long as I was able to show that the loans were deferred for 12 months from the closing date then they were not counted in my DTI.  Most loan companies give you a six month grace period once you graduate.  So count six months from your son's expected graduation date and that will give you the time frame.  I only had to contact the loan lender and have them give me letter stating my estimated repayment date and amount.

***Gardening 3/29/2018 until 9/25/2018***

FICO 8 Scores: EQ~692 l TU~657 l EX~669
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.