cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying soon for VA Loan , Fico and Debt ??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Applying soon for VA Loan , Fico and Debt ??

Hi there, thanks for your helpful responses in advance.

Here is my situation

I am looking at applying for a 100% VA Loan in the very near future to buy/build a home for around 300 K. Probably within the next 2 months or so. Already talked to the bank and just roughly looking at the situation they said they do not think there should be any issues.  

I have a credit card with a $ 7000 balance. All my other credit cards have a 0 balance. A car loan on which I pay $ 400/ month on which I still owe $ 12000. Aprox $ 4000 in Savings. Fico score of 790 and 795.

My question is : I can't pay down my car loan any faster, but should I use my $ 4000 and bring down my credit card balance to $ 3000? It would not change my Fico score at all but maybe lower the debt ratio a bit, which the bank said in my case was in the lower 30s. Or should I hang on to the cash for now and pay my card off after I am approved for the loan?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Applying soon for VA Loan , Fico and Debt ??

Hang on to the cash, if the lender requires you to do something with your debts in order to get the final approval it'll be listed on the initial approval.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Applying soon for VA Loan , Fico and Debt ??

Thank you!
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.