Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appraisal Question About Repairs

tag
chan85
Established Contributor

Appraisal Question About Repairs

Ok, still waiting on this appraisal... just figured I would start a new thread.

So if my appraisal comes back as I need so many repairs, in order for me to move forward with underwriting, do I need to make all the repairs first? Or just by the time we get to closing? I don't want to pay for whatever, then go to underwriting and they say nope not giving you a dime to buy this house" AFTER I have paid for repairs! Even if it's just a few hundred dollars, I am not sinking any more money into the home until I know it's going to be mine forreal. If this house doesn't work out, I need all th emoney I have left to go towards getting the next one.

Is this a realistic expectation or will they say fix it or we trash your file??

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Re: Appraisal Question About Repairs

The repairs will need to be done and re-inspected by the appraiser before closing can happen.

You mention that YOU will have repairs to make. Are you not going to ask that they be made by the seller?

Message 2 of 9
chan85
Established Contributor

House is listed as is and is a short sale..... I will try and ask but not holding my breathe on them coughing up the money..... I can hope so though... If they went with another seller and had a conventional loan would they still have to get repairs done? Maybe that can be my leverage....

Current Debt Management:
$10k NFCU

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 3 of 9
hippychic823
Regular Contributor

Not very likely to get repairs done with a short sale or foreclosure IMHO....I was looking at a foreclosure about a month ago and it needed some work: an upstairs window was broke, the light fixtures in 3 rooms were gone, minor stuff (but I wasn't trying to pay for it after I'm forking out all kinds of money for inspections, appraisals, faxing things to my LO, closing costs, etc) so I asked my agent if the seller (who was a bank) would pay for repairs and she said no because since it was a foreclosure they had already "lost" money on it and wouldn't put anymore money into it. Kinda makes since. Anyways, I been following your story and sending positive vibes your way!! Hope everything works out for ya!!! Takes A LOT of patience to go through the home buying process in general but even more patience to deal with a short sale situation...keep on keepin on and go on and get your house!!! Smiley Very Happy
Message 4 of 9
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

@chan85 wrote:

House is listed as is and is a short sale..... I will try and ask but not holding my breathe on them coughing up the money..... I can hope so though... If they went with another seller and had a conventional loan would they still have to get repairs done? Maybe that can be my leverage....

That's right.  Ask anyway.  Also, you could renegotiate based on the appraisal or home inspection.  Ex. you could ask they pay more in closing.  You could offer a little less for the home based on what you think they may cost you.  Certain repairs required by law, they will have to make for any buyer.  Re-read your purchase agreement.

If you are okay with making the repairs, but don't want to pay out of pocket then you can consider offering a little more for the home so that they will be included in the price and the seller can pay them up to a certain amount.  Your realtor should be able to help you get the things you need or want based on the appraisal and inspection.  Always get a home inspection.

Hope this helps.Smiley Wink  Keep in mind the power of positive thinking.

Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 9
chan85
Established Contributor

@hippychic823 wrote:
Not very likely to get repairs done with a short sale or foreclosure IMHO....I was looking at a foreclosure about a month ago and it needed some work: an upstairs window was broke, the light fixtures in 3 rooms were gone, minor stuff (but I wasn't trying to pay for it after I'm forking out all kinds of money for inspections, appraisals, faxing things to my LO, closing costs, etc) so I asked my agent if the seller (who was a bank) would pay for repairs and she said no because since it was a foreclosure they had already "lost" money on it and wouldn't put anymore money into it. Kinda makes since. Anyways, I been following your story and sending positive vibes your way!! Hope everything works out for ya!!! Takes A LOT of patience to go through the home buying process in general but even more patience to deal with a short sale situation...keep on keepin on and go on and get your house!!! Smiley Very Happy

Thanks Hippychic! I am hoping this all goes smoothly. I think I will at least ask if there is work that needs to be done, worse they can say is no.

Current Debt Management:
$10k NFCU

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Message 6 of 9
chan85
Established Contributor

@JusdoNit wrote:

@chan85 wrote:

That's right.  Ask anyway.  Also, you could renegotiate based on the appraisal or home inspection.  Ex. you could ask they pay more in closing.  You could offer a little less for the home based on what you think they may cost you.  Certain repairs required by law, they will have to make for any buyer.  Re-read your purchase agreement.

If you are okay with making the repairs, but don't want to pay out of pocket then you can consider offering a little more for the home so that they will be included in the price and the seller came pay them up to a certain amount.  Your realtor should be able to help you get the things you need or want based on the appraisal and inspection.  Always get a home inspection.

Hope this helps.Smiley Wink  Keep in mind the power of positive thinking.

Positive thinking.... that's my weakness in all this! But I will try! Thanks for your answer, I will ask anyway if there is work that needs to be done. Max limits for contributing to closing is 3% right? They are maybe $200 just short of that as it is.... I can look over purchase agreement, but what am I looking for exactly?

Current Debt Management:
$10k NFCU

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Message 7 of 9
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

No problem.  There should be a section on your purchase agreement that says Government requirements and Retrofit.  The max closing is 6% although hardly anyone pays that much, nor do most ask.  There was a law that was supposed to drop it to the 3% that's most common.  Yet, as far as I know it hasn't changed yet.

Hope this helpsSmiley Wink

Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 8 of 9
chan85
Established Contributor

Well, just heard back on appraisal! No repairs and came in at exactly my offer of $95000! So now no need to worry at all!

Current Debt Management:
$10k NFCU

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.