Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appraisal Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Appraisal Question

Not that it matters, but I have a question about the appraisal.

We had appraisal last week. Appraiser expressed that the house should probably appraise at $380-ish, but he would be recording $365-ish because he didn't want to raise any red flags.

Does this sound right to you? What does he mean by red flags? Again--not a biggie--it still appraised at more than selling price, but the comps in that neighborhood for that size home are all over $390k, and I am curious as to why it even matters.

And--if appraisers are supposed to be unbiased (my assumption, not sure this is the case) why do they know the selling price before making the appraisal?

Jut curious.

Lisa
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Appraisal Question

Oh my gosh, the per son who did my appraisal told me the exact same thing.  Okay, a year ago the sellers had the home appraised and it appraised $80,000 higher.  When we got our appraisal back it was listed at $10,000 above our purchase price.  I called the appraiser and she said if she listed it any higher it would raise some red flags.  I am getting an FHA loan.  I didn't press for answeres from her about what she meant, but I wish I would have now!!!

Thanks for the post, atleast now I know it didn't just happen to me.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Too weird. Mine appraised at $2k above asking price but in comparing to the other houses on my street that sold, I'm sure it's worth probably another $15k above that. I wonder if it's the same reason? Mine too is FHA...
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is weird.  When I bought my house 3 1/2 years ago, the loan officer told me that to qualify for an FHA mortgage my appraisal on the house I picked out had to be at least $90,000.  (Sellers wanted $92,900, but bought it as a forclosure for around $70,000).  I was concerned since it still needed some work and didn't seem like it would appraise for that much.  She said not to worry, it shouldn't be a problem.  Guess what?  It appraised for $90,000 exactly!  (By the way, I ended up paying $85,900 for it). 
Message 4 of 8
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Not that it matters, but I have a question about the appraisal.

We had appraisal last week. Appraiser expressed that the house should probably appraise at $380-ish, but he would be recording $365-ish because he didn't want to raise any red flags.

Does this sound right to you? What does he mean by red flags? Again--not a biggie--it still appraised at more than selling price, but the comps in that neighborhood for that size home are all over $390k, and I am curious as to why it even matters.

And--if appraisers are supposed to be unbiased (my assumption, not sure this is the case) why do they know the selling price before making the appraisal?

Jut curious.

Lisa

One of the factors that contributed to the creation of the housing bubble was appraisers and mortgage brokers colluding to ensure that the pre-purchase appraisal was high enough for the seller to get a loan. When house prices were skyrocketing, every seller wanted to get a huge price for their home, even if it really wasn't worth the asking price. If the appraisal of the house fell below the inflated asking price, then the loan wouldn't go through and everybody loses - the broker doesn't get his commission, the seller doesn't get a fat check, and the buyer doesn't get a house.

The appraisers would be told the prospective selling price for the home, and would be effective told to make sure that the appraisal hit the number necessary to close the deal. The fallout from this practice is that a lender makes a loan well in excess of the reasonable house value, and now prices are dropping. If the borrower defaults on the loan, then the lender loses tens of thousands of dollars (or more). Multiply this by several thousand and that's what creates the credit market crisis. The banks, in order to be able to make additional loans to new buyers, package their mortgages in securities and sell them to investors with the promise of a certain rate of return. If borrowers across the board default on their obligations to the lenders, then the lenders default on the obligations to the investors.

[As an aside, many people would legitimately argue that the "real" value of a house is defined by the market, and thus the high home prices were simply a product of increased demand. However, this demand was fueled by unwise borrowing practices in which people spent more on a house than they could really afford. It's not unlike telling someone that they can improve their quality of life by running up massive credit card debt to buy a lot of nice things.]

Anyways, now that the practice of inflated home appraisals is well known, the lenders are now scrutinizing every appraisal that crosses their desk. Any appraisal that runs higher than comparable recent sales could get flagged. And it's the sales that matter here, not the estimated values of houses that aren't on the market.

Having said that, if the comps in your neighborhood really support a higher appraisal, then there should be no reason why you shouldn't get the higher number. If, however, the comps are even a few months old, then arguably your value might not be that high, because home prices in general have been dropping.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lel, you almost lost me at the beginning of the second paragraph but I'm glad I kept reading.  It makes sense now that you said that -  "Any appraisal that runs higher than comparable recent sales could get flagged".

So I called the county Assessors office today, I thought well if I am going to have to pay taxes on this house I want to make sure I'm paying based on the value it is now that the market is low.  To my surprise they told me I would be paying taxes based on a previous asssment done by their office that was actually $10,000 lower than the purchase price.  That shut me up really fast.

But when I called the Homeowners ins. co they told me the amount of coverage I need would be approx $80,000 over my purchase price because if there were a disaster of some sort that is how much it would cost to replace the home.

HOW CONFUSING IS THAT!!!!
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lel, thank you. Your answer was clear, concise, and made perfect sense to me.

The comps are within the last two months. It really doesn't make a difference to me, because my taxes are based on the PA appraisal, and it is adjusted however they want to adjust it. Plus, from what I understand, it doesn't change my LTV, which was my original concern, due to wanting to have MIP for less time--but I have educated myself on that as well.

Unhappy, my insurance agent expressed that many people over insure. Make sure you know exactly what you must cover, and make the best decision from there. Here in FL, insurance is crazy, so any little discount helps.

Lisa
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

1.  What state are you live in ?  3.5 years ago you only paid $85,900 for your house ? how big is the house ? sq/ft ?
2.  In Los Angeles area that is the "Dream Price"... 
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.