cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appraisal came back with repairs requested.

tag
OaimeeO
New Contributor

Appraisal came back with repairs requested.

We had an appraisal completed for FHA mortgage approval and it came back with a few repairs in order to meet FHA guidelines.  This is a Fanny Mae foreclosure that has a tenant living in the house, although they were served eviction papers when I put an offer in on it in February. Am I responsible for these repairs prior to closing, or do I just have to show that I have the funds to complete the repairs?

Also, if I have to complete the repairs prior to closing do they have to be completed by a licensed contracter? The issues are: missing handrail in stairway to second floor, paint chipping on 2 garage windows, needs new steps with hand railing into garage, and one of the basement windows needs masonwork to repair the cement around the frame. I just assume fix the paint issues myself, and the others could be repaired by my dad who is a handyman and familiar with this work, but not a licensed contracter.

Thanks for any advice!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: Appraisal came back with repairs requested.

FHA will not back the loan according to the guidelines with the repairs needed.

The home will not close if it doesnt conform to FHA guidelines.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 2 of 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

ask the lender if they can do an escrow holdback for repairs....

seller leaves money at the table.... repairs are done post closing.... after inspection, the title company pays the contractor

NO.... you cant do it yourself. must be a licensed contractor doing the repairs.

dont waste anyne's time trying to get around this. just follow the rules.

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

i guess..... technically, the seller could hire dad for $1 to complete the repairs BEFORE closing.

but if you escrow for repairs, the handyman has to be licensed contractor

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 6
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

If an inspector didn't find any issues, he/she didn't do their job. So you need to find what requires repair for FHA and what doesn't.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 5 of 6
OaimeeO
New Contributor

I spoke with the realtor and he is having his contractor fix the repairs to pass FHA funding. We had a home inspection and are aware that this home is in need of other repairs. The inspector did not hold back on any information. We already are getting $6000 towards closing costs so I am leary to ask for more money at closing to fix any of the minor repairs that the inspector disclosed to us. We are getting this house for a huge discounted price thanks to difficult tenants not allowing prior showings of the house. We don't want to ruin our chances of closing.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.