cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approval Estimate - First Time Home buyer

tag
SRI2004

Approval Estimate - First Time Home buyer

Hi! I'm wanting to see if someone can give me an estimate of how much I will be approved for a mortgage. I'm a first time home buyer, single female. Here are the other details:

1. Credit: My Experian score is 753. I don’t have any derogatory marks or late payments. 2% credit utilization.
  2. Income.  I estimate my gross will be about $63k this year.
  3. Source of income.  My income comes from employment. It includes hourly wages, a lot of overtime ($12k last year), and an annual bonus around $2k-3k.
  4. Monthly debt payments.  I have one credit card that I pay off every month. Minimum payment is $30 though. No car payment  or student loans.
  5. Employment W2 employee. On the job for 6 years.
  6. Assets/Reserves.  I have $18k in savings and $1k in checking. $12k in 401k. $4k currently in stocks. My car is paid off and is valued at about $4500.
  7. Location.  In or around the 75067 and 75056 zip codes.
  8. Property.  Single family or townhome
  9. Occupancy.  Primary residence
  10. Transaction Type.  Purchase

Thanks!!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Approval Estimate - First Time Home buyer

Welcome to the forum 

Here's a great tool to give you a rough estimate 

http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/mortgages/new-house-calculator.aspx

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@SRI2004 wrote:

Hi! I'm wanting to see if someone can give me an estimate of how much I will be approved for a mortgage. I'm a first time home buyer, single female. Here are the other details:

1. Credit: My Experian score is 753. I don’t have any derogatory marks or late payments. 2% credit utilization.
  2. Income.  I estimate my gross will be about $63k this year.
  3. Source of income.  My income comes from employment. It includes hourly wages, a lot of overtime ($12k last year) how much the yr before? , and an annual bonus around $2k-3k. did you get one the yr before?
  4. Monthly debt payments.  I have one credit card that I pay off every month. Minimum payment is $30 though. No car payment  or student loans.
  5. Employment W2 employee. On the job for 6 years.
  6. Assets/Reserves.  I have $18k in savings and $1k in checking. $12k in 401k. $4k currently in stocks. My car is paid off and is valued at about $4500.
  7. Location.  In or around the 75067 and 75056 zip codes.
  8. Property.  Single family or townhome
  9. Occupancy.  Primary residence
  10. Transaction Type.  Purchase

Thanks!!

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 6
SRI2004

I made $8k in OT the year before. (My OT rate was $25.23/hr then and now it's $40.38/hr). 2013 was the first year to be eligible for the bonus, but I will get it every year from now on.
Message 4 of 6
Travis-84
Regular Contributor

I didn't do the math, but you will probably be approved somewhere in the low 300k range.  I filled out 3 applications, and I was floored by how much they approved me for.  I looked at the amounts and thought "I can't afford that".  So the biggest question would be how much can you afford? 

A general rule of thumb is to find a mortgage expense of 28% or less of your gross monthly income.  This includes Principal, Interest, Property Tax, and Insurance.  With your low debt, and good credit, If you find a house, and its in the price range you can reasonably afford, I think you will get approved.  

Message 5 of 6
MaddMatter70
New Contributor

Is there any merit to the old adage 2.5 x your salary?  Or is that not really something banks look at and just go on dti ratios?

Starting Score: EQ608 TU531 EX568
Current Score: EQ694 TU697 EX710
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.