cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approval chances

tag
Gettingitright22

Approval chances

Current scores all just around the 620 mark, last 30 day late was 02/13 and Sallie Mae problems from years ago. Current income $3200 monthly, no credit card bills, $520 car payment.

Looking to get a VA loan in about 10 months from now. Any advice very welcome!!!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
foofighter74
Established Contributor

Re: Approval chances

If you dont' mind me asking, why are your scores in the "620's" if you have no credit card debt? i see that you have a late payment but it was nearly a year ago.  What's holding your scores down? How many credit cards do you have and how much is the available credit?

Message 2 of 11
MorToProducer

@Gettingitright22 wrote:

Current scores all just around the 620 mark, last 30 day late was 02/13 and Sallie Mae problems from years ago. Current income $3200 monthly, no credit card bills, $520 car payment.

Looking to get a VA loan in about 10 months from now. Any advice very welcome!!!

First off, thanks for your service. You may be ok, some lenders will provide a VA loan with a 620 middle Fico, but many, including us, require a 640+.  You can put $0 down and roll the VA funding fee into the loan.  If you don't have any credit cards, you need to open 2-3 now. You may find it difficult to open them, and if so, get secured credit cards (where you provide the $ for the credit line), but just make sure the company reports the data to the bureaus.  Keep the balances very low versus the limits (this is approx 30% of your Fico score model).  Other than that, keep payments on time.  You probably will be ok in 10 months, but would be better to have a lender pull your credit and review in more detail, just to be safe, make sure there are not charge offs or other issues that could be a problem.

"There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure."

$ Below market nationwide mortgage rates make clients happy $
Scotsman's Guide nationwide top 300 originator placement 2012
Message 3 of 11
Gettingitright22

I have a late from this year, Feb. Student loan is in default (just found out) will take care of ASAP and there are a couple of 60 day lates from 2009 for which I am writing GW letters, debt to income is currently high, we have credit cards with low limits but I anticipate that by Aug 2014 my credit will have greatly improved if I keep working on it. I can only hope!

Message 4 of 11
MorToProducer

Sounds good. Reach out if you want when ready to have an application done. Happy to help.

"There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure."

Message 5 of 11
klondike
Valued Member

@Gettingitright22 wrote:

I have a late from this year, Feb. Student loan is in default (just found out) will take care of ASAP and there are a couple of 60 day lates from 2009 for which I am writing GW letters, debt to income is currently high, we have credit cards with low limits but I anticipate that by Aug 2014 my credit will have greatly improved if I keep working on it. I can only hope!

Rehab the loan if you cannot pay it off or you will not be able to get pre-approved for any mortgage. Student loan issues are probably one of the biggest issues in getting a mortgage because the federal government can garnish wages or go after any property you own to settle the debt. If you rehab, it takes 9 months of payments to get out of the program and have your loan resold.

Starting FICO EQ Score: 597
Current FICO EQ Score: 664
Goal FICO EQ Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 11
basballguy
Frequent Contributor

@klondike wrote:

@Gettingitright22 wrote:

Rehab the loan if you cannot pay it off or you will not be able to get pre-approved for any mortgage. Student loan issues are probably one of the biggest issues in getting a mortgage because the federal government can garnish wages or go after any property you own to settle the debt. If you rehab, it takes 9 months of payments to get out of the program and have your loan resold.

Can confirm.

Sallie Mae is a $%#$% when she doesn't get her money.

Message 7 of 11
MorToProducer

a 30 day student loan late payment will not prevent you from getting a mortgage.

Message 8 of 11
klondike
Valued Member

@MorToProducer wrote:

a 30 day student loan late payment will not prevent you from getting a mortgage.

OP mentioned it is in default which will prevent you from getting a mortgage.

Starting FICO EQ Score: 597
Current FICO EQ Score: 664
Goal FICO EQ Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 11
MorToProducer

Depends on the meaning of "default". If just a month behind and he catches up that is fine. If further than thereby be issues ..

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.