cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for FHA with a blemish/collection on my account?

tag
jsmith111
New Visitor

Approved for FHA with a blemish/collection on my account?

My score is 689, and my wife's is 744.  I have 1 collection on my account for $80, and it's been on there for 3-4 years.  No one's ever tried to collect this from me...I've never gotten a call or letter or anything.  Otherwise, I would've just paid the measly $80.

Will this hurt my chances of getting an FHA loan or are our high scores enough to overlook that?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
mgm4g5

Re: Approved for FHA with a blemish/collection on my account?

I have two collections on my file... They're both for $30. One shows paid and the other shows a balance. These are from several years back... I'm now waiting on final approval, but the underwriter has never said a thing about it. I think you'd be fine...

Message 2 of 8
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

You'll be fine. I believe only if you have collections over $1,000 (either single or as a total of all collections) AND they are newer than 2 years have to be paid.

Message 3 of 8
fdiggy
New Contributor

I had a collection account from 2007 for $1,077 and it was never mentioned. They asked for some stupid things for conditions but the collection wasnt mentioned.

Im now just waiting on CLC after submitting the conditions.
Should get the call or email any minute now. Scheduled close is 29th.

And my middle score was 701. All lenders are different but should be fine. Worst Scenario you have to find a different lender.

Im going through First Premier Mortgage through middle man Patriot lending.

Starting Score: 701
Current Score: EX-FICO701 EQ-FICO644 TU-FICO724 all lender pulls April 2nd 2013
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 8
wenbev
New Contributor

I'd call them up and pay it.  Let the CO know you've never received any documentation and get it removed. PFD all the way if it's legitimate.  I say this from experience, you don't want to go to underwriting with that on your CR.  The underwriter may kick back the application and request you pay for it and write a letter before reviewing your file again.

Message 5 of 8
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

Don't pay it unless they agree to a PFD, don't want to update it's last day of activity and hurt your score. If they ask to have it paid, request to pay it at closing.

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 8
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@jordanmedical wrote:

Don't pay it unless they agree to a PFD, don't want to update it's last day of activity and hurt your score. If they ask to have it paid, request to pay it at closing.

+1.  Paying a collection is not supposed to affect your score, but there are way too many reports of people having their score drop after paying a collection.  If they do end up asking you to pay it, do it at closing.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 8
Uppingmyscore
Established Contributor

You should be fine. Good Luck :-)
My Wallet: Amex Express BCE $27,000, Amex Express Blue Sky $6,000, Delta SkyMiles $10,000, Discover $14,000, Chase Freedom $23,500, Capital One $8,000, SAMS $10,000, and LOWES $10,000
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.