cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Student Loans Ruining Our House Dreams?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Are Student Loans Ruining Our House Dreams?

What's your reason for going that route?

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I spoke to the lender they said FHA had to take 1% of my student loans, no way around it which blew my DTI out of the water when combining our other debt. With conventional there's more latitude in how they view the loans and our DTI was much better, plus we could qualify for more house. Unfortunately living in San Diego, we would only qualify for around $350,000 - you need at least $450k-$600k for anything halfway decent. Bummer.

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's holding your qualification figure down?  DTI?  What if you increase down payment?

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

That and the lender suggested eliminating as much of our revolving and installment debt as possible, starting with our biggest monthly payment on down. That would get us to a better spot, luckily its not really astronomical so with some dilligence we can work on it, of course we have to do this while saving up for a little bit bigger deposit. It will be worth it

@Anonymous wrote:

What's holding your qualification figure down?  DTI?  What if you increase down payment?

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Revolving debt for sure should be at AZEO before applying for a mortgage.  This is a strong rule.

Installment debt I'd say attack the smallest balance first, pull mortgage FICOs, and then attack the next one.  Not easy to do, though.

Message 15 of 16
woodsie1
Regular Contributor

I was in the same boat when applied for a mortgage. I was informed that conventional would be the way to go in order to have my ACTUAL IBR payment used in calculations. I was approved through NFCU with my mortgage scores being around 711.
Starting scores TU: 537 EQ: 571 Current Scores 8/2015 TU:641 EQ: 641EX: 643
4000 3600 30006200 VS: 2450 NY&CO: 2320

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.