cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are mortgage interest rates going to rise in 2010?

tag
weathergirl77
Contributor

Are mortgage interest rates going to rise in 2010?

I know no one really knows for sure but I can't buy a condo until next year and want to close first week in May.  I just wonder if the rates will be in the 6 range by then.

Thank you for all your replies.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Are mortgage interest rates going to rise in 2010?

I would expect so.  Sometime in the near future we will have to start paying the piper for the cheap money we have had.  That is going to mean higher interest rates.  They may try to hold on to lower rates for awhile, but at some point, inflation and other issues are likely to override the need forcheap home loans and the Chinese (who buy a huge portion of our treasury notes) have been making larges waves about US monetary policy and are questioning whether they should continue to buy the T bonds. 

So who knows any exact dates, but I would not be surprised to see rates up in the low 6's in spring and back up to more historically average numbers by this time next year (6-8%).  Let's just hope that they don't go into the double digits like the 80's 

Message 2 of 3
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Are mortgage interest rates going to rise in 2010?

I feel like fed policy is keeping rates low.

Economy getting better = rates rise.

Plus... the spending the fed has done will mean inflation = higher rates

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.