cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are we likely to be approved for a 5% down conventional loan?

tag
avv7c0
Regular Contributor

Are we likely to be approved for a 5% down conventional loan?

Our builder seems to think that we most likely would not need to do FHA, and could get a 5% down conventional loan instead.

From what I read in the FHA vs. Conventional loan, it seems like this would be a good thing if we could get it. Anything we should be aware of between the two, based on our application criteria below? How will this impact our closing costs if we did conventional over FHA?

My wife's Equifax score is 714, we're pulling score reports on the others. My scores are listed below in my signature.
She has at least one charge off on her report from about 4 years ago. She cosigned on a motorcycle loan with an ex-boyfriend and he bailed, taking the property with him.
Combined income is $134k, not including overtime pay.
The housepayment would be 14% of our GMI.
Our debt to income ratio with current rent and insurance payment is 27%, and 15% without the house stuff.
Thoughts? Do lenders (we have to go Wells Fargo for the builder incentives) even offer a 5% down conventional these days?
----------------------------------------------------------
Fico Scores:
EQ - 811 (Feb '14)
TU - 829 (Mar '14)
EX - 814 (Mar '12) - Lender Pull
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Re: Are we likely to be approved for a 5% down conventional loan?

5% down conventional loans are still around, at least in my area. The hard part is not getting the loan, the hard part is the private mortgage insurance companies having extremely strict standards that must be met. It's not even just the borrower (although credit score, history, etc. are all very important), it is also the type of house, location, comps, etc. Most of the PMI companies here want the perfect borrower to approve or they will walk away.

That being said, remember it will be the lowest middle score from both of you that dictates the loan, and with conventional, your credit scores do matter in your rate and your PMI approval. Good luck going forward.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
Jason845

Re: Are we likely to be approved for a 5% down conventional loan?

I just closed a 5% down mortgage, and my financial situation in very similar to yours.  If your DTI allows, try for the Fannie Mae My community Mortgage using only one person's finances, this is what we did. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.