Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are we ready to qualify for a VA Loan?

tag
mikeymike1994
Established Member

Are we ready to qualify for a VA Loan?

To give you a quick synopsis on our situation: I work as a legal secretary for a major law firm in SF. My spouse is a waiter at a high French restaurant in SF. I'm a veteran. I was honorably discharged back in 1992 but I have been a city apartment dweller ever since and my spouse and I are finally deciding to leave San Francisco for a home we can call our own. Until recently my credit was challenged but it now stands at TU: 625, EQU: 637, and TU: 659. I expect those scores to move up higher this month as well as the following months (hopefully closer to 675 to 700 by May). My current credit utilization is likely to be somewhere between 15% and 25%. My last 30 day late on my report was December of '13. There are some collections & charge offs on my report as well. The smaller ones ($50, $200, $300) are 1-3 years old. The larger ones ($1500?) are at or nearing the 7 year mark.

Also, my spouse has just recently received his green card in March 2014 so his credit is fairly new. However we have lived in the same apartment for 6 years and both our names are on the utilities so we can show on time rent and utilities payments for the last 12 months.

I feel we will be most prepared by middle to end of Spring. Can anyone give me an idea of where we might stand at the moment as far as qualifying for a VA loan?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Are we ready to qualify for a VA Loan?

Based on the info, I'd say yes.  Now whether it is for the amount you need, or terms, is the question.  Arre y'all leaving the Bay Area or looking to stay?

Message 2 of 10
mikeymike1994
Established Member

We're moving to the East Bay.  We both still work in San Francisco and most of our friend live in SF so we want to be as close to the city as possible, preferable right next to a BART station.

Message 3 of 10
mikeymike1994
Established Member

I also did one of those loan qualification amount calculators including both our incomes and, assuming those calculators are accurate, it looks like will qualify anywhere between 400K to as high as 650K.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you'll qualify for something, I think the only question is for how much.  Good property is extremly expensive in that area of the country, good luck.

Message 5 of 10
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

You should address those negatives first 

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 6 of 10
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

@1GaDawg85 wrote:

You should address those negatives first 

VA loan will get good terms with those scores even so no worries.

Have you tried early exclusion?

I recommend going through a CU for best rates. Good luck!

If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 7 of 10
wagsk1
Regular Contributor

the only thing I would add is to check what scores you are using. My fico scores were very different from my  mortage pulls.  good luck!

Message 8 of 10
mikeymike1994
Established Member

Just curious how big a difference were they?

Message 9 of 10
wagsk1
Regular Contributor

EQ and Ex were 30 points lower and TU was 80!  Doesn`t mean it will be the same for though, just get over that 620. Spend the 20 bucks on Equifax score power, its worth it.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.