cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you allowed to use discount points on Sonyma or FHA loans?

tag
superdesi
Contributor

Are you allowed to use discount points on Sonyma or FHA loans?

The only thing I don't like about FHA is the mandatory MIP regardless of what your LTV is.....but are you allowed to use discount points to lower the rate?
CK: 700 [11/03/10]
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

Re: Are you allowed to use discount points on Sonyma or FHA loans?

Noit is very black and white - there is no way around the upfront (which is now a lower amount) and the only way to avoid the monthly is to have 10% down for a 15 or 20% for a 30 and  then you would probably just be better to go conventional and avoid the upfront fee,

Brian

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 2 of 4
superdesi
Contributor

Thanks for replying Brian.

I have well over 20% to put as downpayment so I guess FHA would not be good if they won't allow me to buy down the interest rate by paying points.

As far as Sonyma is concerned,   they are currently adverstising a 4% APR on a 30 year fixed.   That beats all the other conventional rates in my area for a 30 year fixed.  

I'm mainly interested in buying down the rate as low as possible.   Any ideas?

CK: 700 [11/03/10]
Message 3 of 4
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

I'd be surprised if SONMYA doesn't have a rate buy down option, I'd give one of their approved lenders a call.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.