Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Loan Questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Auto Loan Questions

Hi, I'm new here and I need advice on getting a car loan so I don't get ripped off like I did for my current vehicle. I read Suze Orman's YB&F, which lead me to myfico.com. I bought her kit and have since been trying to figure this whole game out. I read Auto Credit and Scoring just now (not sure how I missed this section a week ago) and was amazed to learn about this whole other scoring in the auto industry. I have been debating on going through a credit union or getting financed through the dealership. Here's the deal, I got a BK Chapter 7 in Nov 2000 (wish I had never listened to the finance guy at the company i worked for...looking back, it was the worst advice i have ever gotten). I gave back the Ford Focus...does that count as a repo? Since it has been 7 years since I did it, how does a dealership look at that? As for the current car I have, I did pay off that loan in Dec 06. I have late payments for the loan on my CR for 05 and 06 due to low income and losing my job. I was thinking about writing a GW to Triad who financed my car to see if they could remove it?? Right now the highest fico I have is with TU at 655. I'm thinking about getting the Scion XD or the Honda Fit. Has anybody ever dealt with Scion/Toyota financing?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Auto Loan Questions

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi, I'm new here and I need advice on getting a car loan so I don't get ripped off like I did for my current vehicle. I read Suze Orman's YB&F, which lead me to myfico.com. I bought her kit and have since been trying to figure this whole game out. I read Auto Credit and Scoring just now (not sure how I missed this section a week ago) and was amazed to learn about this whole other scoring in the auto industry. I have been debating on going through a credit union or getting financed through the dealership. Here's the deal, I got a BK Chapter 7 in Nov 2000 (wish I had never listened to the finance guy at the company i worked for...looking back, it was the worst advice i have ever gotten). I gave back the Ford Focus...does that count as a repo? Since it has been 7 years since I did it, how does a dealership look at that? As for the current car I have, I did pay off that loan in Dec 06. I have late payments for the loan on my CR for 05 and 06 due to low income and losing my job. I was thinking about writing a GW to Triad who financed my car to see if they could remove it?? Right now the highest fico I have is with TU at 655. I'm thinking about getting the Scion XD or the Honda Fit. Has anybody ever dealt with Scion/Toyota financing?

I gave back the Ford Focus...does that count as a repo?  Yep  Since it has been 7 years since I did it, how does a dealership look at that? It should fall off in 7-7.5 years.  You need to find out the DOFD/DOLA and know when it will fall off before getting a car loan...IMO.  As for the current car I have, I did pay off that loan in Dec 06. I have late payments for the loan on my CR for 05 and 06 due to low income and losing my job. I was thinking about writing a GW to Triad who financed my car to see if they could remove it??  Good idea.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I gave back the Ford Focus...does that count as a repo? Yep

I don't understand that since I was able to keep it, but opt to give it back? There isn't anything listed on my CR about it?

Since it has been 7 years since I did it, how does a dealership look at that? It should fall off in 7-7.5 years. You need to find out the DOFD/DOLA and know when it will fall off before getting a car loan...IMO.

Well, my discharge was Nov, 2000. None of those accounts are on my CR anymore...at least the CR's I bought through Suze Orman's Kit. The only thing my BK is mentioned is in the Public Record section. Question though, will a dealership see all info about the BK when they do their special Auto check?
Message 3 of 4
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Not if it's gone from your CR. A repo is a repo, whether voluntary or not. If it was IIB, then it went away within the last six months or so.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.