Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto loan questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Auto loan questions

I have never bought a car before and am currently in the process.  Through this sight, I found out about the FICO Auto Industry Option scores and am assuming that since I have no auto credit history, that it is just as bad as bad auto history and will probably have a low score.  Am I correct in this assumption?

I currently have enough cash to buy a decent used car without having to take out an auto loan.  My FICO score is currently around 620.  The question I have is;  Should I pay for the used car, in full, with the cash that I have, or should I go for a new car (around the $14,000 range), put down more than half of the cost of the new car as a down payment with the cash I was going to use for the used car, and then take out an auto loan for the rest?  Would doing so help with first of all my Auto FICO score, and do auto loans look good/ help your regular FICO score? 

Sorry for all the questions.
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Auto loan questions

Yes.. if you have never had an auto loan, your auto score will be lower.
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Tuscani for your reply.  However;  I was hoping you would answer the other question about whether I should pay for the used car in full with cash, or put most of the cash down and take out a loan on the rest of a new car.  Thank you for your time.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I personally would pay for it cash, that way I pay nothing in interest and don't have to get full coverage insurance (since I'm 23 I would pay a lot).
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it were me and I had the cash, I would go for the new car and pay all cash except $1k-$3k.  This way, you're not going to have an outrageous car payment, you're not going to be paying on it for very long, you get an auto enhanced FICO score to work with in the future and, yes, it does help with your regular FICO score.  Pay it off no earlier than 12 full months so that you can show a decent length of payment history and be sure to never miss or be late on a payment.

That's just my opinion.  I had no previous auto loans and a couple of baddies on my credit report and no positive tradelines when I first got my car over a year ago.  It helped my regular FICO tremendously.  I've since paid it off through a refi and that improved my regular FICO score too.  Granted, my interest rate was terrible when I first got the loan.  Now I get good pre-approved offers all the time from auto dealers and banks and that started before my refi.

Message Edited by HouseHunter on 08-06-2007 06:56 AM
Message 5 of 12
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, if you can pay cash.
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, so I see alot of the replies that people have left you and I will give you one different. The best thing for you to do is to get a loan on a new car and utilize the money that you have as a down payment. How you do this is extremely important. Here is what you want to do. I am going to give you a basic scenario below showing the best breakdown to help build your credit score for the long term (you could pay cash for the car, but then you would have the same problem for the rest of your life whenever trying to buy a new car)

Let's say the car you wanted is $15,000 with tax, tag, title and all the works. Let's also say that you have $5,000 dollars cash in hand. Tell your auto dealer or finance company that you want to put down $2,500 in cash (most lenders are going to require this anyways to obtain your first car loan). After you are approved, ask what your APR (annual percentage rate) is, and find out if putting more down will qualify you for a better rate. (it will probably not unless you are putting down significantly more).

Now when you make your first payment, send in the other $2,500 that you have as a direct payment towards the pricinpal (you dont pay interest on that amount).

I have found that this is a great way to build your score and mantain lower debt ratios. because on your report, the loan will show up that you borrowed $12,500 but that you only owe $!0,000 after the first month.

Of course, with all pros, there are cons. The con here is that your interest rate was based off the original loan amount, so it will remain a bit higher than if you just put the extra $2,500 down to begin with, but once you build your credit score, then refinancing to get a better rate is probably something you should do anyways. In the long run, you will have to pay a few more dollars, but you have to weigh that for what you get in return. Plus, the higher amount you have financed before, the easier it is to get higher amounts in the future.

Hope this helps a little
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good morning!

I am new to this site but I have received a lot of helpful info, so thanks everyone.
But in response to your question. I am a Credit Analyst for a large auto finance company ( I say yes or no to the deals that come from the auto dealers). I would suggest you go to a dealer, speak w/ the finance guy. They will pull your credit and tell them you don't want to be shopped all over the world. A good F&I guy should know what bank would pick you up, expecially if you have a good down payment. So my answer would be go w/ a newer model car ( used 06 because you shouldn't be hooked in the loan) and put some cash down. You may not have to put down as much as you think. Usually the banks will send back a call saying the max they will do and how much you need to put down.

Also I don't know if you have any other established credit but my suggestion would also be to find a credit union and start a relationship w/ them. They will do more for you and not try to rip you off:-)

Hope this helped
Message 8 of 12
SpecFile
Valued Contributor

Great reply honesty!
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks!

If only I knew then what I know nowSmiley Sad
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.