Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BK after 10 years?

tag
magundus
Established Member

BK after 10 years?

I am looking to apply for a mortgage later this year. I currently have a BK on my record that falls off in 2 months. From what I understand some lenders can extend beyond that 10 year period and identify the BK through public record. I was wondering if there are any potential lenders I could work with that would not extend the search beyond 10 years.

Starting Score: 620
Current Score: 673
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
foofighter74
Established Contributor

Re: BK after 10 years?

You can get an FHA or VA loan 2 years after your bankruptcy discharge date.  USDA is a three year wait.  You can get a conventional loan within 4 or 5 years i believe.  A bankruptcy that's almost ten years old is a non-issue. You can apply to any lender you want.

Message 2 of 6
magundus
Established Member

The reason I ask is because I acrued some negatives(paid) after BK which I hear is an entire different scenario with the lenders. I would prefer that my negatives aren't viewed as negatives after BK.

Starting Score: 620
Current Score: 673
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 6
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

I wouldn't worry about the BK as much as making sure you have re-established yourself since the BK. They are much more concerned with late payments, etc. than they are a 10 y/o BK. I was able to get a new mortgage 3 years after my BK, and a mortgage on a rental property 7 years after. My BK is off my reports now.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 4 of 6
foofighter74
Established Contributor

@magundus wrote:

The reason I ask is because I acrued some negatives(paid) after BK which I hear is an entire different scenario with the lenders. I would prefer that my negatives aren't viewed as negatives after BK.

I can't imagine why a lender would look for public records (other than a foreclosure) beyond what is on your credit report.  If it's not on your report, they're not going to view you in that light.  I think you'll be fine. 

Message 5 of 6
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

The lender I went through wanted tons of info on the BK13 I filed in 2005 that was deleted from my credit reports before I apped. They requested info that they could have gotten off of Pacer themselves but since it costs money, they asked me to do it. So I don't think that they have a free way of looking up the info they want through public records. They asked if I filed BK ever so I had to answer yes and provide them the info regarding that. But it was a total nonissue after that. I closed 2/6/13. I have one collection that's unpaid since BK but no late payments since BK.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.