Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back-to-work counseling session fee

tag
Bratbaby
Contributor

Back-to-work counseling session fee

Hello-
I've spoken with a lender and I qualify for FHA Back-to-work. I was online looking for HUD-approved counselors and landed on a site called Springboard, who can do the counseling over the phone for $95. Is this a fair price? Should it cost that much? I've found references to "free or low cost," but that's pretty nonspecific. Just want to avoid being taken for a ride.
Thanks!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Back-to-work counseling session fee

Springboard is the only one I found [that was ready to deliver the specifi content required by FHA] after months of searcing. I did it wit Springboard for the $95 fee. One of my customers also did it with Springboard [with my recommendation] and it went well. We both received our certificates of completion electronically within 24 hrs of completion.

Message 2 of 7
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

I've also found that is a pretty fair price, and being able to do it online/over the phone so you don't have to travel is a plus too.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 7
Bratbaby
Contributor

Great! Thanks so much for your replies. I had made the appointment for 1/27; just wanted to be sure it was a good price for the counseling. Now I'm looking forward to it! Any input on topics covered during the counseling? Thanks again-
Message 4 of 7
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

just check with your lender and make sure they consider that counseling ok

Retired Lender
Message 5 of 7
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@DallasLoanGuy wrote:

just check with your lender and make sure they consider that counseling ok

That is the only one I found and it is specifically structured to meet the content requirement of the BACK TO WORK program.

Message 6 of 7
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@Bratbaby wrote:
Great! Thanks so much for your replies. I had made the appointment for 1/27; just wanted to be sure it was a good price for the counseling. Now I'm looking forward to it! Any input on topics covered during the counseling? Thanks again-

You will create a working monthly budget during the  session so make sure that you have a list of EVERY expense for the month and EVERY $$$ of income you have each month. You will be asked for NET income ... that is your AFTER TAX INCOME. They will ask about savings too.

With the above data, they will create a budget that shows what disposable income you have available after all expenses are paid each month. They will compare your CURRENT with PROPOSED housing scenario.

The session will last a minimum of one hour.

After the session, they will email you a link to their system where you will access the budget they created, a collections of tools for financial management and your completion certificate.

By the way, the fee is for the session ... not per person. My wife and I attended for the same fee.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.