Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad situation need some help please

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bad situation need some help please

OK. I was preapproved for a house through VA loans. We found a house and the sellers accepted our offer. We signed the purchase agreement. We stated in the contract that we did not not want the house if we could not put fence up where we want it. We got the termite and home inspection done. The problems were that most of the eletric outlets were not grounded ,termites in the garage and that there was negative sloping around house. We do not want the house if all of these are not fixed. We had utilities come and mark the property for the fencing issue. We would be able to put a fence up which I told our realtor we can but not in writing .Will I be able to get out of the contract if I change my mind where I want to put the fence and cant because I cant dig in a certain spot. Also for the problems for the inspection report our realtor said they definitly have to fix the termite problem but she is checking on the electrical problem. The negative sloping said they do not have to fix do if they dont want because the inspector said it is not a major problem but I think it is a major problem the inspector is not buying the house I am. Also we are dealing with a dual agent which we will never do again. Please any advice on how to get out of this contract. I dont want to waste $400 for the appraisal and not have them fix these things.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Bad situation need some help please

this would be a good question for your realtor.

they have a copy of the contract.

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 8
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

Write an addendum and ask themt o fix - The Realtor is the go to but if you walk be prepared to lose your earnest deposit as the contract may not provide an out clause since you can put the fence in.

Good Luck

I agree with above Realtor is the one to talk to and it will be tough since it is a dual agency and their primary duty is to the seller

Brian

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

They most likely will not fix the sloping. Who decides if it is major enough to get out of the contract? For the fencing part it states that it is contingent on being allowed to put a fence where we want. We can always tell them that we want to put the fence pole right where the utility is marked which we would not be able to dig there. Thanks for the advice.
Message 4 of 8
teton
Regular Contributor

Just my personal opinion, but sounds like what you want to do is dishonest. You signed a contract and now you want to manipulate things to get out of it. I'm sure it's not illegal to do, but just because it is legal doesn't mean it is honest. Would you want someone to pull this stunt on you if you were selling? I'm a big believer in karma. This might come back and bite you in the butt.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not being dishonest. I should not have to buy the house if those things are not fixed. If they dont have to fix them I am going to go with the fencing contingency. I can put a fence up but if  I have to deal with getting the negative sloping issue taken care of I want my fence to go out farther than how far it can go now with the utility pipes being there. So it is a matter of my satisfaction where the fence goes.
Message 6 of 8
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I am not being dishonest. I should not have to buy the house if those things are not fixed. If they dont have to fix them I am going to go with the fencing contingency. I can put a fence up but if  I have to deal with getting the negative sloping issue taken care of I want my fence to go out farther than how far it can go now with the utility pipes being there. So it is a matter of my satisfaction where the fence goes.

Was your only contingency the fence issue?  Or is your purchase contingent on the home inspection and the correction of all major deficits?

If the fence is the only contingency, then you also have an obligation to be reasonable about where you want to place it.  You can't simply demand an unreasonable fence location or design just to get out of a contract.  Furthermore, I would expect that before you signed the purchase agreement, you were given disclosures about utility lines and any easements that exist on the property.  If so, then you should have known in advance where you could not install a fence, and the seller will argue that it is your fault for not reading the disclosures.

And I would have to agree with teton, it sounds like you are being somewhat deceptive in your approach.  If I understand one of your posts, you indicated that you have already determined that an acceptable fence can, in fact, be installed.  Thus, the contingency has been met.  It's not fair to the seller for you to have a continually changing contingency just because you're having doubts about your decision.

If, however, your purchase was contingent on passing a home inspection, then you might have a little more leeway.  Termites alone may not nix the deal, so long as there isn't significant structural damage.  Non-grounded outlets are also a minor issue that doesn't affect the habitability of the home to a significant extent.  The negative slope, however, could be an issue if you can prove that this has caused drainage problems, such as basement or crawlspace flooding.  Also, if you can show that there are major deficits that the seller knew about but didn't disclose, then you have some leverage here too.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like your main concern is the sloping of the property? If that be the case why didn't you address this issue before putting earnest money down and signing the contract? I looked at everything when buying my property including what types of trees and vegitation were growing and I also had grade issues ( sloping ) If the seller don't want to pay these expenses and believe me it's unlikely they will. Earth moving equipment & the operator if you can't operate them is quite expensive!
Message Edited by Bran9192 on 11-17-2008 09:52 AM
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.