Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BamaGuy back on the grid

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BamaGuy back on the grid

I closed on my new house on June 22nd, at 5pm, 3 hrs later than the planned 2pm.  How that came about is new thread in itself.  The short version is a billion dollar, national home builder had to rely on me and my connections in the fire dept to clear the CO letter, and get it to the law office to at least close on the announced day.  The buildings and codes people are civilians who work under fire dept supervision, and the captain in charge of that worked for me back in the day.  As the saying goes "it aint what ya know, who its  ya know."

Present at the closing, the attorney, his paralegal, my agent, who has been so helpful all these months, and my wife and I.  

"Without me this closing doesn't take place today, so I expect some kind of good snacks and drinks at the closing"

"already working on it"

Snacks at the closing were oatmeal cookies, cold drinks of any kind, and caramels.

After the closing we drove over to the house.  For the last 2 months we had been by there almost everday, but to drive up and go in knowing you own it is entirely diffrent feeling.  When we opened the door, we were awed to think this beautiful home was now ours.  Recently we ran into some friends at CVS who asked how our new house was coming, and said, "y'all deserve it after all those years in that house." Making it sound like Primrose was some kind of torture chamber.  They didn't mean it the way it came out.  I could tell it hurt my wife's feelings, and told her to forget about it.  

Last 2 days we have been moving.  All the furniture is in place, I can see why people pay thousands to have someone do it for them.  We are currently going through boxes and putting stuff away.  We are still blown away by the home and the beauty of this community.  DW has quickly placed her touch on the home.  Her flowers on the porch, and cute outside decos have made our curb appeal best in the community I think.  A colorful mushroom thing with a frog beside it came straight from primrose, I wonder what folks would say around here if they knew THAT LOL.

Close friends, who knew we were in the moving process and without a fridge (delivered yesterday) brought hoagie sandwiches over to feed us and to help put things away.  We have been truly humbled by the outpouring, our doorbell has been constantly going off, as a stready stream of people stop to see us.  The small community here (about 25 homes) have welcomed us with a great enthusiasm.

This is a new chapter for us.  My brother asked, "you miss primorse?"

"yes, but not as much."  

"It served its purpose, without it you are not here,"

A true statement.  We made a nice profit from the sell, enough to get in this house, buy furniture and stuff, and still put a nice chuck of change in the bank.

Last night was our first home cooked meal in the new (roast in crock pot).  It seemed to odd to be in eating in "open concept"  Our kitchen, den, and dining all one big room LOL.  But they say a house is not modern unless you have "open concept."

Lil bit is still under the only bed we brought from Primrose.  DW asked, how come he won't come out?"

"Because it has the scent of home baby.  The linens and other stuff still smell like primrose, and it comforts him in this big new place with 10ft ceilings and hardwood floors (primrose was carpet and lanoleuim.) he'll be ok in a few days and will realize this is his new home."

Kind of like us.  I look around and see many items from our old home.  The red wagon on the table that holds the salt and pepper, a few plants, a slide rocking chair, a few things on the fireplace mantel.  My new office is still a mess, but the cable guy was out yesterday and got me back online.  Back on the grid is nice.  After months and weeks of getting up in the morning and working on the mortgage process, reading the news and making casual phone calls takes getting use to.  Everday I checked my fico score, intrest rates, returned messages from my agent and LO, and then driving over to check on the build.  No longer having to do all that is nice.  I've not checked my fico score since I closed LOL.

Good to be home.

Still much to be done, so better get busy.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Re: BamaGuy back on the grid

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!

I'm so very happy that everything went almost as planned....they should have made nachos for you since you got the CO completed for them!!!

I pray that you, your wife, and Lil Bit have many many years of enjoyment and memories in your new home.

Don't you love small communities.  Ours is only 30 homes, and it's soooooo peaceful!!

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 2 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome back!

Enjoyed reading your threads regarding the process and your approach to it... glad you resolved the awkward situation rather than the scenarios so many people go through.  Congrats again!

        
Message 3 of 10
Lemmus
Established Contributor

Smiley Very Happy•º°”˜˜”°º••º°”˜˜”°º••º°”˜˜”°º••º°”˜˜”°º•WELCOME HOME•º°”˜˜”°º••º°”˜˜”°º••º°”˜˜”°º••º°”˜˜”°º•Smiley Very Happy

...wish you all the best in your new place ...just don't forget us ...you make this place feel like "old home Alabama" ...'n then some Smiley Wink 

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 4 of 10
wendlan
Regular Contributor

Congratulations!

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations!!!!  I love the comment, "without it you would not be here"...so true!  I think this applies to almost everyone in their home buying journey.  And a good reminder. 

Message 6 of 10
damnedanddetermined
Established Contributor

Congrats!!!! Job well done Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good job and congrats!!!

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Grats Bama. I would waltz into that title company and chain yourself to something and just yell nachos every 20 minutes or so. Oh well. At least somebody else brought the food for yours... I promised my real estate agent I would bring him some home smoked cheese, so I I have a cheese plate I'm bringing to mine. 10 kinds of cheese smoked on hickory and apple. (Yes alarmingly there are 10 different kinds of cheese in my house at nearly all times. I don't know why this frightens people, but it does.)

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats, Bama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.