Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank Statements?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank Statements?

I've overdrawn my account a few times paying off collections and such. How much do they look into bank statements when getting appying for a loan?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Re: Bank Statements?

Overdrafts on a bank statement is going to look really really bad.  They typically look at the last three months.  I would wait until the overdrafts are outside of the range.

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would they take into consideration that I was paying my collections and cleaning up my credit?

Message 3 of 15
mamahearts
Frequent Contributor

Have you turned in your bank statements yet? If not, ask if the loan officer will take a VOD (verification of deposits).  If they do not then you will need to Letters of explanation but that may not be enough.  When I was shopping for my loan all three banks I applied at did accept VOD.   We used the VOD and we had no problems! Good luck!

myFICO starting TU 683 8/26/11
myFICO starting EQ 645 8/26/11
myFICO EQ 652 9/26
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I havent started the process yet. I'm doing my research and getting my credit up before taking the leap. What is a Verification of Deposit?

Message 5 of 15
mamahearts
Frequent Contributor

Ok good.  Some banks will accept a verification of deposits in lieu of bank statements.  This is so they can verify the source of the funds you're using for your down payment/closing costs.  With this they will see how long you have had the account, see the amount of your deposits and where they came from to be sure they are acceptable deposits.   As you're shopping, call around and ask the loan officer or email them asking if they will accept a VOD in lieu of bank statements.  It was one of the last steps before we closed and I was nervous, but we didn't have any problems.

myFICO starting TU 683 8/26/11
myFICO starting EQ 645 8/26/11
myFICO EQ 652 9/26
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice! Thank you so much. That's the only thing I was worried about. I've been working really hard fixing my credit and paying collections that I've overdrawn a few times. I feel like its a win/lose situation. Pay my credit and have bad bank statements, or have good bank statements and bad credit. I know credit outweighs my bank statements, since they only ask for the last 3 months, and when I'm done paying my credit, my statements will be back to normal.

Message 7 of 15
cdtotten
Established Contributor

I tend to agree if you have not turned over your bank statement, I would not.

Showing your underwriter that you have overdrawn your account recently is not smart at all, and could damage your chance of getting approved. Overdrawing to pay off collections is not a good thing, even if it is good intentions. If you are living that tight, then you probably will struggle owning a home.

Let the overdrafts age off your bank statements you need to provide and work on getting a solid down payment.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 15
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@cdtotten wrote:

I tend to agree if you have not turned over your bank statement, I would not.

Showing your underwriter that you have overdrawn your account recently is not smart at all, and could damage your chance of getting approved. Overdrawing to pay off collections is not a good thing, even if it is good intentions. If you are living that tight, then you probably will struggle owning a home.

Let the overdrafts age off your bank statements you need to provide and work on getting a solid down payment.

+1

Get on solid footing before you start looking for a home. Are you planning to get an FHA mortgage? If so, it is likely the underwriter may ask for bank statements anyway - each lender can make the underwriting a little more tough than what FHA actually requires to insure the loan. The FHA standards are minimum standards.

Don't buy or try to buy while you are in a bind with your cash. There are other expenses both in the buying process (inspections, appraisals etc) and after you own your new home. If you don't have some reserves (I don't mean bank required reserves) its going to make it hard for you. Use this time to increase your score and bolster your savings. Good luck!

Message 9 of 15
YHWHUDAH
Regular Contributor

For what its worth, I just closed on my mortgage and I had about 4 overdrafts on my statements and they never questioned it. I bank with my lender, and I had well over 20K in reserves; so I don't know if that played any part no questions..

Capital One Cash World MasterCard 7500, PenFed World Visa 6500, USAA Military Affiliate Visa 2000, Capital One Platinum 2500, Affas Military Star Card 8700, Affas Take It Home Today 4900, Orchard Bank Platinum 1500, Orchard Bank Silver 1300, Lowes 5000 and Chase 500.

Closed on USAA Mortgage Dec 23, USAA Auto Loan 42000 Mercedes Dec 30

Credit Scores: EQ 656 TU 669 EX 679 All Lender Pulls Oct 2011
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.