cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank demanded increased insurance after refi?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank demanded increased insurance after refi?

My sister recently refied and took out some extra $$ for renovations (she's gutsier than I am).  She asked all the players in the transaction whether she had adequate insurance coverage and everyone assured her she did.  A week after closing, the lender called and said she had to increase her coverage.  I said there's probably something in the fine print of the note that the lender can require whatever level of coverage they want.  Can they do this??  
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bank demanded increased insurance after refi?

The property value for insurance needs to be 100% of the Replacement Cost for the home.....Maybe they were figuring the RC of the home after the improvements which should be worth more then she pays to have them done.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, but shouldn't they have figured this out before closing?
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is her insurance company that determines adequate coverage, not the bank....  In California, the law prohibits lenders from requiring coverage in excess of the improvements on the property as a condition of a loan.

However, there are provisions in most policies that require the policyholder to notify the carrier of the estimated replacement cost of the property after all improvements are complete within 30 days of renovation.  This requires her increase her coverage now in order for the insurance company to honor paying on a replacement cost basis if a claim is presented during or after renovation.  Otherwise, she may find herself participating in her own claim.

Either way, seems to me she needs to forget what everyone else is saying and speak directly to her insurance person, after all the buck stops with them....(she might be surprised how agreeable they can be, depending on the company, of course).

Your friendly California insurance agent, 

Kathleen    
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Kathleen, I will pass this along to her although I know the law in California is different than in just about every other state (and in CA it tends to be on the side of the consumer).
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.