Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy/ Foreclosure

tag
Melissalyn17
New Contributor

Bankruptcy/ Foreclosure

I am confused at how to figure out when my house was foreclosed. We filed Chapter 7 in January 2009. On our credit report there is no mention of the foreclosure since it was part of the bankruptcy (unless I am missing it)? The close date on our mortgage is listed at January 2009 on all of them. So do they go by that date? If not how do I find out what date they will go by?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Melissalyn17
New Contributor

Re: Bankruptcy/ Foreclosure

I should mention we are going for a USDA loan, if that matters.

Message 2 of 10
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Go to your county's property appraisers website and look up your old house address. You should be able to pull up the Certificate of Title for your home. The date on the CT will be the date the lender uses as the transfer date from you to your bank.

Message 3 of 10
bbb3601
Frequent Contributor

You can also look at the forclosure record (court case) at your county's website where forclosure took place . IN ours you can search by your name. Find the date that is listed by conformation of sale. Many many lenders use this date because this is your acual sale date. Title is always slow to record and it not always indicative of the real date.

NFCU Cash Rewards 20,000,NFCU Plat 17,000, NavCheck 15,000, USAA Cash 4,000, USSA Rate Adv 2,000, USAA AMEX 3,500, Freedom 2,000, Capital One 2,000, Barclay's Apple 1,500, Barclay's Ring 1500, Various Store Cards.

Message 4 of 10
Melissalyn17
New Contributor

Thank you so much. I found it, you were right the property apraiser was a little slow to record it.

Message 5 of 10
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@bbb3601 wrote:

You can also look at the forclosure record (court case) at your county's website where forclosure took place . IN ours you can search by your name. Find the date that is listed by conformation of sale. Many many lenders use this date because this is your acual sale date. Title is always slow to record and it not always indicative of the real date.

Here they actually show both dates.  The actual sale date on the CT and the date recorded.

Message 6 of 10
bbb3601
Frequent Contributor

nice. That for sure makes it easier to decipher!!

NFCU Cash Rewards 20,000,NFCU Plat 17,000, NavCheck 15,000, USAA Cash 4,000, USSA Rate Adv 2,000, USAA AMEX 3,500, Freedom 2,000, Capital One 2,000, Barclay's Apple 1,500, Barclay's Ring 1500, Various Store Cards.

Message 7 of 10
Melissalyn17
New Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

@bbb3601 wrote:

Here they actually show both dates.  The actual sale date on the CT and the date recorded.

Which date do they go by? On the actual paperwork filed with the clerk of court it says final judgement was January 7th. The record date was January 12. Then on property apraisers it says March 2010.

Message 8 of 10
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

The final judgment is not the sale date. The final judgment is issued prior to the sale by at least a month or so (some cases longer).

The date that they actually go by is the sale date where it transfers back to your bank. Is the Certificate of Title the one that shows as the March 2012 date? If so, that is the date the next lender will use as the sale date. If you don't see the Certificate of Title on the property appraisers site, than do as suggested above and go to your public records under your name to see if it is recorded there. If you still don't see it, then it's possible, but remote, that the sale hasn't occured yet.

Message 9 of 10
Melissalyn17
New Contributor

Thank you so much for explaining all that, it is beyond confusing. I finally found the Certificate of Title (through the record search, March 4, 2010.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.