Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy and FHA Mortgage

tag
paul
Established Member

Bankruptcy and FHA Mortgage

I went through Chapter 7 with a discharge date of June 2013. I have a FHA loan on my current home that I have continued to pay on time. I have a new job and have to move to another state. Would I qualify for another FHA loan? I am a little confused on eligibility for a second FHA loan. I plan to rent out my current home.

Current home: 10% equity, FHA loan. 

Salary: 90K.

Credit Score: 709, with one late payment 3 years back on a CC(30 days).

Starting Score: 590
Current Score: 708
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bankruptcy and FHA Mortgage

You can only have 1 FHA mortgage at a time.

Message 2 of 9
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

actually, you can have two FHA loans as long as you meet certain exemption requirements.  You should be able to find them on FHA website.

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

FHA rules for BK is two years from discharge date.

FHA loans are typically for owner-occupied primary residence only. Exceptions are made if your family has grown too big for the current house, if you are required to take on a commute that is unreasonable for your residence, if you are a non-occupying co-borrower, or if you are vacating a jointly owned property.

Otherwise, you will either have to refi your current FHA into a conventional loan or use a conventional loan for your new home.

Hope this helps!

Message 4 of 9
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

FHA loans are typically for owner-occupied primary residence only. Exceptions are made if your family has grown too big for the current house, if you are required to take on a commute that is unreasonable for your residence, if you are a non-occupying co-borrower, or if you are vacating a jointly owned property.

Otherwise, you will either have to refi your current FHA into a conventional loan or use a conventional loan for your new home.

Hope this helps!

He said his Ch7 BK was discharged in June 2013, so he needs to wait until after 6/17 for a conventional mortgage. They can allow a coventional mortgage after 2 years, but only for "extenuating circumstances", but that has to be something significant, like a major medical event that prevented them from working and caused high medical bills. But that unreasonable commute should work ffor a 2nd FHA mortgage as he said he's moving to another state for a job. 

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hope this helps!

He said his Ch7 BK was discharged in June 2013, so he needs to wait until after 6/17 for a conventional mortgage. They can allow a coventional mortgage after 2 years, but only for "extenuating circumstances", but that has to be something significant, like a major medical event that prevented them from working and caused high medical bills. But that unreasonable commute should work ffor a 2nd FHA mortgage as he said he's moving to another state for a job. 

Correct Smiley Happy. I should have summarized my response!

Message 6 of 9
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@paul wrote:

I went through Chapter 7 with a discharge date of June 2013. I have a FHA loan on my current home that I have continued to pay on time. I have a new job and have to move to another state. Would I qualify for another FHA loan? I am a little confused on eligibility for a second FHA loan. I plan to rent out my current home.

Current home: 10% equity, FHA loan. 

Salary: 90K.

Credit Score: 709, with one late payment 3 years back on a CC(30 days).

You can rent it. But you will still need to qualify for both loans. You don't have 2yrs landlord experience to allow for rent receipts to offset the mortgage payment on the current loan.

FHA DOES ALLOW for a second FHA loan if you move far enough away that a commute is not reasonable.

So the loan wasnt included in BK? And always paid on time?

Retired Lender
Message 7 of 9
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Was the current FHA loan post discharge or was it discharged? I did not see it in any of the posts ... but I'm not as good [visually] as I once was.

Message 8 of 9
paul
Established Member

It was discharged in the BK, meaning I agreed to make payments and keep the home.

Starting Score: 590
Current Score: 708
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.