Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Banks

tag
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

Banks

We have been having quite a bit of issues with our bank .... we are looking to change banks, but dont want to do anything before i verify that we can....

I want to know, since we are planning to purchase a house within the next 6 months.... will this be seen negatively? 

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: Banks

Be careful with how you do the bank change.   

Yes, you can go open up a new account.   Make sure that everything is transparent in moving funds from Bank A to Bank B.   Make sure no payments get left out in the wind that could cause an overdraft, NSF, or anything horrible like that.   if you can keep the old account open, for free, for a few extra months, I would suggest it just to make sure everything is ok.   

Sometimes having a long banking history with one bank helps, but for the most part, it won't make much difference.

Of course, we all want to know - which bank is causing frustration?

Message 2 of 7
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

Its a local bank here in the Twin cities, TCF (Twin Cities Federal) 

i have a closed account now i am disputing with them because my identy was stolen (third time in 6 months on two different cards) and they let a fradulant transaction go through after i had disputed it and it was removed.... (then posted back on 2 weeks later) 

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 3 of 7
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Did you file a police report?

Message 4 of 7
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

I was told that a local police report wouldnt benefit me much since the bank does their internal investigation and pursues legal action... because once the bank gives me back my money, its their money now stolen.... or something....

Message 5 of 7
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Your identity  being stolen is the reason for the police report.   You should file a police report immediately!!

The bank is looking out for themselves and their bottom line.   They don't give a hoot about your and your identity theft problems.   I don't know who advised filing a report was worthless, but I disagree with that advice.  You need to file immediately.    There's fraud going on out there that involves you directly and indirectly.  

Having a police report will protect you, your credit report (if adverse stuff is put on there), and help prosecute the theifs.   

Go file!!

Message 6 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@IOBA wrote:

Your identity  being stolen is the reason for the police report.   You should file a police report immediately!!

The bank is looking out for themselves and their bottom line.   They don't give a hoot about your and your identity theft problems.   I don't know who advised filing a report was worthless, but I disagree with that advice.  You need to file immediately.    There's fraud going on out there that involves you directly and indirectly.  

Having a police report will protect you, your credit report (if adverse stuff is put on there), and help prosecute the theifs.   

Go file!!

+1000

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.