cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Bay Area, CA) First-time home buyer, how much house can I afford/what types of loans can I qualify

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

(Bay Area, CA) First-time home buyer, how much house can I afford/what types of loans can I qualify

Personal
Marital: Single
Profession: Engineer (2 years)
Residence: Bay Area

Income
Salary: ~$125-130k

Assets
Cash: $33,000
401k: $8,000
Vehicle: ~$20k

Debt
Student loans: ~$15k (graduated with 30, paid off 15 of high interest and now just making min payments @ 350/mo)

Credit
Scores: TU 744 / EQ 741
7 years history
AAoA low (stupidly closed all my cards I opened when I was 18 in college)

I'm looking to buy in the san mateo/redwood city/fremont/hayward area. How far away am I from qualifying for a loan? If I could qualify for one right now, how much could I get? (I'm assuming my only option is FHA/conventional 97)

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
erinbean28
Valued Member

Re: (Bay Area, CA) First-time home buyer, how much house can I afford/what types of loans can I qual

Hey there! I too live in the Bay Area (North Bay) and have been pre-approved with my husband for our first mortgage with our credit union, Navy Federal Credit Union.

Things we have learned through this process:
1. FHA has a cap on how much you can borrow. This cap is government regulated so it will be the same cap no matter which lender you go through. In Sonoma County the cap is $545,000. Considering most homes up here are north of $545k FHA really limits which areas you can buy in.
2. There are no other low down payment options available, unless you have a credit union which offers low down or no down payment (NFCU offers a zero down mortgage which is what we are using.) I have heard some credit unions in your area are also offering zero down mortgages for those who are in the tech industry.
3. On top of your down payment, you will also need reserves (anywhere from 3 to 6 months worth of mortgage payments in the bank) and closing costs just to get pre-approved. To give you an idea, closing costs on a $600k loan is $16,200. One thing you can do is tell the loan officer that you are getting a gift from family to cover closing costs and then with the help of a good realtor write up offers which get the seller to pay closing costs, which alleviates the need for the family gift. This can put you at a disadvantage however in the competative market up here, especially if you are in a situation where there are multiple offers and someone is willing to pay full price with no contingencies surrounding closing costs.

I hope this helps you! We have been fumbling through this for well over three months now and we are still learning at each turn in the process. We just submitted our second offer on a home Friday and are hoping the deal goes through. Wishing you nothing but luck!!

Starting Score: 550
Current Score: Equifax 693, Transunion 697, Experian 689
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: (Bay Area, CA) First-time home buyer, how much house can I afford/what types of loans can I qual

Bay Area, owning a house here seems a pipe dream. My wife and I have a combined in come of $170K but lack good down payment. She does have decent amount of student loan but I dont.

Almost seems impossible, maybe Morgan Hill area might be affordable (That too is close to a million for new homes.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.