cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being charged 1 point loan discount fee to underwrite FHA?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Being charged 1 point loan discount fee to underwrite FHA?

We're working with a loan officer in NY who has done business with our family in the past.   We're getting an FHA loan.  There is no loan origination fee on our GFE, but we're being charged 1 point (in our case, a little under $5k) for the loan discount fee (line 802).  Our LO said this is normal, reasonable and expected for banks underwriting FHA loans. 

As much as we do trust the LO, I like to have more than one point-of-reference. 

Can anyone comment on what to expect here?   Our other 800-series charges are the appraisal, and then $350 each for the processing, underwriting and application fees and nothing else.

But since we've asked not to buy-down the rate, why wouldn't the 1 point fall under origination?

Our story: over 800 FICO scores, $480k loan in high-cost area.

Message Edited by FICOScott on 03-28-2009 08:49 PM
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RAISEUP
Regular Contributor

Re: Being charged 1 point loan discount fee to underwrite FHA?

This is unacceptable. you need to seek clarity from your officer. what rate were you given?

~~~
Transunion 652 | 3/27/09-677 | 5/20-09 -683
Equifax 4/21/08 -609 | 5/4/08-632 | 12/26-08- 651 | 5/5/09 - 652
Experian 4/16/08- 613 | 11/08 - 646 | 3/27/09-673
~~~
Message 2 of 5
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Discount fee essentially plays the same purpose as an origination fee - paying it will get you a lower rate.  At 5.25% on a FHA Jumbo loan amount in NY, 1 point sounds pretty fair.  The difference in rate between paying a point vs. not on an FHA Jumbo is pretty considerable - is there a reason you don't want to buy down your rate?
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The base rate under which our committment was written is 5.25%.  To accept the commitment, we're supposed to pay a non-refundable 1% (around $5k) which is then "credited to points or closing costs" at closing.  We're not locked on a rate.

Of course, that's just a deposit to secure the commitment. We're still being charged 1% for a loan discount fee in line 802 and I'm not seeing anything in the paperwork that says that we're getting a lower interest rate as a result.  Is that simply built-in to the interest rate on the GFE?

We could pay a point to reduce our rate -- as long as it's reducing our rate -- but the biggest consideration is that we're first-time homebuyers and we need at least $60k to cover our down payment, prepaids and closing costs, and that's without points. Assuming that we also need to have money left over for savings and money to make basic fixes, paint, etc... we need $90k-$100k to seal the deal.

Would we be "forced" to pay a loan disount fee to obtain this loan because it favors the lender? It's a little easier to figure this stuff out when the lender's profits aren't so obscured. I guess I was under the impression that paying points was an option, not a requirement, of the loan offer.

THANKS!  I'll be talking to our trusted LO, but again, it's helpful to have more than one source of information on this.

Message Edited by FICOScott on 03-29-2009 08:57 AM
Message 4 of 5
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

NY is one of the few places where you can legally charge upfront fees to process a transaction - it's the reason that NY'ers have a tough time shopping around, the fear of parting with so many application fees to see if they'd get approved from multiple places.  But I digress... the rate being offered is a function of the fees you are paying, higher fees/points = lower rate and vice versa, doesn't matter what category the points are in.  It's optional, don't let anyplace tell you it's mandatory or required, as that is simply not true.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.