Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Loan for 100k student debt?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Loan for 100k student debt?

I have 100k in student debt. No auto, cc debt, or any other debt. 80k income. All FICO scores above 760 (including the mortgage ones). I have 40k in cash for down payment. Should I go with FHA or traditional loan? Please help! Smiley Wink

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Talima719
New Contributor

Re: Best Loan for 100k student debt?

I would think that depends on the price range of the home you are considering. Scores wise, you shouldnt have a problem qualifying for either FHA or conventional at the best rates.  Also, are your loans in repayment status?

Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are they deferred or do you currently have a payment on them?

Message 3 of 21
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

If you are in a profession that is high paying and got into student loan debt to get the degree (i.e. medical doctor, lawyer, etc), SoFi may be an option since they lean a lot on potential earnings and income despite debt, though still an important consideraiton.

Message 4 of 21
Talima719
New Contributor

@youdontkillmoney wrote:

If you are in a profession that is high paying and got into student loan debt to get the degree (i.e. medical doctor, lawyer, etc), SoFi may be an option since they lean a lot on potential earnings and income despite debt, though still an important consideraiton.

Interesting. Never knew that. Thanks!

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does the 100k in student rate affect potential interest rate also or just DTI? With 100k, should I go for FHA loan or conventional loan? Why?

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

The student loan won't affect your rate. It will only affect your DTI. Are they deferred or is there currently a payment? If it's in repayment, is it fixed or income based repayment? The student loan likely won't affect which loan program you use, and will moreso affect the amount you qualify for.

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

My graduation was two weeks ago so I do not need to make payments on the loan until December. If I make fixed payments for 25 years, my payments will be somewhere around $700 per month. This would be less than the amount that I would have to pay based on the new 1% rule. Which of these two amounts--700 or 1%--be used for DTI purposes? Also, which of the many FICO scores are used for mortgage? My FICO 8 scores are all above 760. Thanks for the help!!

Message 8 of 21
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My graduation was two weeks ago so I do not need to make payments on the loan until December. If I make fixed payments for 25 years, my payments will be somewhere around $700 per month. This would be less than the amount that I would have to pay based on the new 1% rule. Which of these two amounts--700 or 1%--be used for DTI purposes? Also, which of the many FICO scores are used for mortgage? My FICO 8 scores are all above 760. Thanks for the help!!

My understanding of the rules, if you are on the extended repayment plan it will use that actual value (in your case 700) rather than the 1% since you can show a fully amortized loan pay off.

When you pull your 3B report here there is a section that says "commonly used in Mortgage lending" but it is EQ5, TU5 and EX2

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!  My scores are as follows:

EQ5: 751

TU4: 779

EX2: 773

Will they use the lower of my three scores (the 751)? Is there a significant difference between my three scores? Thanks!

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.