Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Route for a 20 Point Bump for Conventional Mortgage

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Route for a 20 Point Bump for Conventional Mortgage

Hello...

I am in the midst of selling and finding a new house.  I've found one I like and would like to get a conventional loan on it.  To hit the sweet spot, I need to bump my score by about 20 points.  I have some cash to play with and am looking for input on which would be my best route to obtain the biggest jump in score now, and I will pay the remainder off once I close on my current house (so I am not worried about interest at this time, as I will be paying everything once its said and done).

I have 7 cards...of which I used to remodel my current home so the utilization I high.  Two of them have $5,000 credit lines while the remaining 5 have credit lines under $2,000.  I have $10k cash to pay them.  Do I pay them all down as close to 30% utilization as possible?  Pay off the smaller ones?  Pay the bigger ones?  Does the credit limit play a role in the weight of the score when paying them off or just the utilization percentage itself? 

I appreciate the input very much!!!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
redbeard
Frequent Contributor

Re: Best Route for a 20 Point Bump for Conventional Mortgage

Not sure there is enough information to say what will get you a 20 point bump.  What are your current scores?  Are the signature ones accurate?  What else is on the report that is affecting your score?

Basically, you can fix 9 out of 10 things on a credit report, but the significant score impact is when you fix number 10, the first 9 will only have a mild impact.

That said, my adice is simple:

1.  Pay everything to less then 85% of the limit.  This keeps you out of penalty terrritory.  

2.  Pay OFF as many cards as you can.  In your case, this means starting with the $2000 limit ones and then working your way up.

If the numbers work so you can get under 30% total utilization, you might get a pretty good bump out of it.  

Realize if you are going for a mortgage, you don't just need a credit score, you need 'optics', it has to look good to someone physically reviewing your report.  Generally speaking, the fewer the lines of credit with outstanding balances, the better.  

Dan

Just trying to get my scores to rise from the dead......

Wait.... I think I just heard a heartbeat!

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.