Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Way to Remove "Account In Dispute" for Mortgage Loan

tag
sewmuchdebt
Regular Contributor

Re: Best Way to Remove "Account In Dispute" for Mortgage Loan

well, i have received my results from eqSmiley Indifferentaltogether i disputed 3 accts. for having a consumer disputes notation. 1 acct was deleted ( it was a repo with hsbc). 1 acct had the notation removed. 1 acct (which is a ca) still remains with the notation consumer disputes acct information...arrrg! why won't first resolution play nice? i have endured so much from this ca. the good news is my eq score went up to 691

i am still awaiting results from tu...

Starting Score: EQ 505 jul09
Current Score: EQ 702 TU 693 EX 692 apr12
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 21 of 193
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

Since everyone seems to have the toughest time with TU, I wanted to post about my recent experience.

Attempt #1: I first sent a letter via fax (number listed above in this string) to TU simply requesting that all "account in dispute" comments be removed from my TU credit report because I was no longer disputing anything. About 30 days later, I received a letter from TU explaining that they had no idea what I was talking about and needed more information. I suspect that if I had a recent copy of my credit report, I could have re-sent my request with the relevant account/dispute comments highlighted; however, my TU report had expired and I didn't want to pay $15 for a new one.

Attempt #2: I followed Shane's suggestion of calling TU at 312-985-2000. After the recording I stayed on the line and waited for an operator to answer. When one answered, I said "I would like to speak with someone in Special Handing Department" and without hesitation, I was transferred. After a few minutes on hold, someone answered and I said "On my TU credit report, I would like to dispute what I understand to be the 'compliance condition remarks code of Account In Dispute' because I am no longer disputing the account." The woman immediately knew what I was referring to and had me verify my identity. Then, she asked for the name of the creditor on the relevant account and either the first 4 or last 4 digits of the account (make sure you have those handy). She quickly found the dispute comments and explained that she was essentially disputing the dispute comments and therefore, the creditor would have 30 days to repond, but after that, the comments would be removed. I pushed her on this and asked if the comments could be removed immediately, but she said no. So ultimately, the removal wasn't immediate, but it sounds like it will happen in the next 30-45 days.

Also, she allowed me to remove the dispute comments on my husband's TU report too, which was awesome and saved him from making a separate call!

If you call TU and don't have the same experience as above, I would politely end the call and then call back to speak with someone else Smiley Happy

Mid-2010 Starting Scores: FAKO EQ 476 FAKO EX 506 FICO TU98 575
July 2017 Current Scores: Approx 710 (waiting for official updates)
Message 22 of 193
Cotton_Britches
Frequent Contributor

Why do disputed comments matter when getting a mortgage? I don't see the relevance.

“Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.”
Message 23 of 193
Booner72
Senior Contributor

I'm pretty sure it's so the underwriter knows exactly what your DTI is -- if something is in dispute, but comes back as valid or whatever - you are paying that.

DTI is super important - we went round and round this week about hazard ins. for the house.  We have a rot and few ins. companies give you homeowners coverage w/ that dog or other dogs they fear are bite risks.  My LO found a company and we "gave" our dog away, and will get him back after closing and after I can get proper insurance.  (The dog still lives w/ us but I have a bill of sale just in case).

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 24 of 193
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

@Booner72 wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's so the underwriter knows exactly what your DTI is -- if something is in dispute, but comes back as valid or whatever - you are paying that.

DTI is super important - we went round and round this week about hazard ins. for the house.  We have a rot and few ins. companies give you homeowners coverage w/ that dog or other dogs they fear are bite risks.  My LO found a company and we "gave" our dog away, and will get him back after closing and after I can get proper insurance.  (The dog still lives w/ us but I have a bill of sale just in case).

Be careful about misrepresenting the facts in order to get affordable insurance.  If something were to happen because of your rottweiler, the insurance company could deny a claim against you and you'd be on the hook for any liability.  Also, in the past you have disclosed to your renter's insurance company that you have this dog, and your current insurance company might find that out and determine that you weren't being truthful in your insurance application.

Even if you really did "sell" the dog for a few days, I wouldn't be surprised if your insurance policy has some stipulation that you will report any significant changes - such as the reacquisition of your dog - in a timely manner.  That could lead to a cancellation of your insurance policy.  And remember, if you are unable to to find new hazard insurance immediately, your lender is going to protect its interests by obtaining a policy for you, probably at very high rates.

I know that it seems unfair that certain dog breeds are stigmatized by the insurance industry.  I grew up with an adorable and good-hearted pit bull who never caused any problems.  But in retrospect I know now that there was always an inherent risk, no matter how small.

Lastly, I would note that what you have described is not exactly ethical.  Based on what you have written, you are still in possession of the dog and never actually "gave" it away, have a fictitious bill of sale, and are using these "facts" as a means to lower your insurance premium in order to reduce your DTI and qualify for a mortgage loan.  Discussion of illegal or unethical activities is not permitted by the FICO Forums Terms of Service.

Message 25 of 193
Booner72
Senior Contributor

I know this is a terrible situation.  I hate doing anything that isn't on the up & up.  I have a quote from Statefarm that is 620 a year (vs the 420 a year the LO Found).  I plan on immediately calling State Farm and switching my insurance to them.  I know that the 420 ins that the LO found is paid out of closing costs, so even if I don't get a refund from them, I feel that that is the price I have to pay.

I don't even think I have to sign anything with the insurance company that the LO found - she got a quote and I said OK.  Both she and my real estate agent told me to just get rid of the dog until we can get through closing. 

This makes me sick to my stomach.  I hate it.  If we do have to have the dog out of our possession for a couple of weeks then that is okay. 

Sorry I talked about illegal and unethical things on the forum.  I won't do it again.  My brother did say he would keep the dog until we get this straightened out.

Message 26 of 193
Booner72
Senior Contributor

PS - we've had him since he was a puppy, he's neutered, and he has never even come close to biting anyone. 

Message 27 of 193
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

You should be able to get a nearly full refund from the first insurance company when you switch, pro-rated for the few days or weeks that you actually have coverage with them.
Message 28 of 193
Booner72
Senior Contributor

That would be nice - but as I said, if I don't I'm ok w/ that.

Is this hazard insurance something that escrow "has" to take care of?  Or can I call and tell them I only want them to do the taxes and mortgage and PMI, and I'll do the ins. myself?

Message 29 of 193
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

For us, the insurance was all rolled together with the closing, but I don't know if it has to be that way. I think you just need to show proof of insurance at closing, so you if you go independently then you'd have to be absolutely certain that your insurance company provides you with documentation of coverage.
Message 30 of 193
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.