Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best bank for a mortgage?

tag
enerey
Regular Contributor

Best bank for a mortgage?

Hi everyone,  I am hoping you guys can give me some insight. I am planning on buying a home in 6 months to a year and would like to get started by going to a bank and seeing where I stand. I am a member of the following banks: NFCU, PenFed, GTE Credit union, Partners credit union, TD bank and Wells Fargo bank. Any recommendations on which bank to go with? I was thinking of NFCU but am open to suggestions.  Thanks for your time. Really appreciate any guidance. Also my scores are around low 700, with 2 30 day latest from 3 years ago.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
H-B
Regular Contributor

Re: Best bank for a mortgage?

All Lenders or Banks have speciality in some products. Do you know which product you want? If yes make a list and call all of your banks and see who is good in that product. Make sure you compare rates and closing cost. You never work with bank you work with MLO so choose  the right one.  

Message 2 of 3
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Best bank for a mortgage?

Banks are not the best place to get a mortgage any more. In general their guidelines are more restrictive than if you went to a mortgage lender that only originates mortgage loans and doesn't do any other banking services.  These types of companys are referred to as "non-bank" lenders.  Work with an experienced mortgage LO that knows what s/he is doing so you can ask all of your questions and get appropriate answers.  You will have the best results if they originate, underwrite and fund their own loans.  Many of the CU's today actually pass the mortgage apps off to someone else to process.  

Big box banks have some decent LO's but most seem to have dissappeared over the last ten years so it is really hit or miss unless you are seeking a jumbo loan.  At all costs - stay away from Wells Fargo. They are known to issue a pre-approval (same with BOA) easily but when it comes time to close the loan, they issue a denial. It is very frustrating (I'm a Realtor).  In my area you hurt your chances of getting your offer accepted if you submit a pre-approval from any of the big box banks like Wells Fargo, Chase or BOA.  

I know I am sweeping with a broad brush.  It is really best if you speak to your Realtor and your friends and family to find out who they used that they were satisfied with - a personal referal is the best way to go. If they don't have one to recommend to you then come back and I will pm a couple of excellent LO's that can get the job done right. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.