Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best guess

tag
foofighter74
Established Contributor

Best guess

Essentially, my wife and i are going to be trying to get pre-approved for an FHA loan in a couple of weeks.  Her current mid-score was 647.  However, we had added a $9000 car loan in November.  THis was done out of necessity, and we arent going to actually apply for a mortgage until March or so to try and line things up with the end of our lease.  The impact on our DTI is positve, as this new car loan is about 90 dollars less per month than the loan it replaced.  On the downside, we are going from a balance of about 900  to 9000 as I said.  The only other option was to wait until the last minute which would have put the new loan  on our credit right about the time we officially apply for a mortgage.

My question is pretty simple. Obviously, in a perfect world, you wouldn't open a new account within 6 months of looking for a mortgage, but in this case, we broke the rule.  What' s your best guess, given the admittedly low amount of information, as to what her credit score hit might be? The loan inquiry was already on the report at the time we pulled the 647 mid-score.  So now it's just a matter of the impact of the balance getting added.

Not looking for precise accuracy, just some guesses. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Best guess

The impact to your DTI was actually negative. Even if the payment is now less, your mortgage lender would have ignored the old loan because it was inside of a few months from being paid off. If your income supports this increase and DTI wasn't an issue, then you are good to go.

I'd guess a ding of 15-25; depends how new your second newest TL. I'd also guess that most, if not all, of the loss will go away within a few months.

Message 2 of 3
foofighter74
Established Contributor

Re: Best guess

DTI wasn't an issue, ours is pretty low even with rent (about 30%) or an even greater potential mortgage payment factored in.  Beyond that we are eliminating the balances on a couple of revolving credit lines within two months.  Credit utilization is the only real issue at this point that's holding her score down (beyond the new loan). 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.