Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best mortgage lender for me?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best mortgage lender for me?

For auto loan and credit cards, DCU is regarded as one of the best for their super low rates, ease of qualification, and super customer service.  They're just super easy and higly regarded on this forum.  Is DCU just as good with their mortgages?  Or is there an equivilent on this forum for mortgage lenders?  I will see a couple local banks tomorrow, but i will definitely consider non-local.

As of currently my scores range from 709 to 743 though i expect my score to go up a tad bit soon.  AAoA 6-7 years depending on bureau, oldest is 17 years.  Util 1%.  No collections.  A couple 30 day lates over 2 years ago.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Best mortgage lender for me?

@Anonymous wrote:

For auto loan and credit cards, DCU is regarded as one of the best for their super low rates, ease of qualification, and super customer service.  They're just super easy and higly regarded on this forum.  Is DCU just as good with their mortgages?  Or is there an equivilent on this forum for mortgage lenders?  I will see a couple local banks tomorrow, but i will definitely consider non-local.

As of currently my scores range from 709 to 743 though i expect my score to go up a tad bit soon.  AAoA 6-7 years depending on bureau, oldest is 17 years.  Util 1%.  No collections.  A couple 30 day lates over 2 years ago.

I would stay away from banks as a general rule. The exceptions for going with a bank are:

• jumbo mortgage loan
  • extremely small mortgage loan (like less than $50k)
  • or a small regional/local bank with specialty programs eg portfolio loans not written under freddie or fannie guidelines

Otherwise for anything else I would go to a mortgage banker/correspondent lender that originates, underwrites and funds their own loans. There is a world of difference in the entire process when you go with a mortgage lender that does NOT do checkings, savings, cc's or any other banking activities. Just mortgages. You avoid all the issues that pop up.  

In particular, if you are going for a mortgage that is not a jumbo or extremely small, stay away from the big box banks (Chase, Wells, BOA etc)

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.