Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to shop around for a mortgage

tag
teton
Regular Contributor

Best way to shop around for a mortgage

I would like to do some 'comparison shopping' for a mortgage. How badly will the inquiries on my credit reports hurt me? My scores are marginal right now for FHA approval so can't take much of a hit. Is there an best way of going about this?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best way to shop around for a mortgage

Just keep them close together and they'll only count as one inquiry. Some people say 14 days, others say 30. I kept all mine within 14 days of each other just to be sure Smiley Wink

A single inquiry is like 3-12 points. Usually in the 3 or 4 range from my experience.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is useful information. I had my Credit pulled today but would like to comparison shop, althuogh my credit already has multiple "dings". How do they count as one?
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a time thing with the way credit report agencies calculate scores. Multiple inquiries for the same thing (like a mortgage) will all be considered as one inquiry if it's within a certain time frame.

On your report they'll show up as several inquiries but in the actual CRA's calculations they only count 1 Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to know, Thanks!!!
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's good to note though that it doesn't work that way for credit cards, just cars and houses.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.