cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beyond frustrated with New Build in Subdivision!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Beyond frustrated with New Build in Subdivision!

So back in Sept we got a pre-approval from a lender so we can start looking for a new built home which we found in a new subdivison close to where we live now. Never having had a new built, we are not familiar with the process. So we signed papers, picked our lot and was told Oct 4th that home shuuld begin within 2 weeks from Oct 4, well here we are a week before Thanksgiving and all that has been done is the staking on our lot. This is a new smaller subdivision and closing date is Feb 14th which I doubt will happen now since they are so late starting. It seems there has been 1 delay after another and the realtor for the builder is not friendly and never has any updates about anything and does not want to be contacted by us but only from our realtor. The other thing that bothers me is that our ernest money check hasn't even been cashed and its going on 3 months, I thought that was supposed to be cashed within a certain time frame? 

We still have to list and sell our current house but can't do anything until they get started on the new one. I realize there is a process to building a new home but this seems beyond ridiculous or am I over reacting? They have everything done and approved by the city to start building, they are now bricking 2 other homes that are almost finished so I am hoping they get started before Dec 1 but who knows at this point. We are just so frustrated with the process and the lack of communication. 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
JVille
Valued Contributor

Re: Beyond frustrated with New Build in Subdivision!

You say you have an Agent? This is your Realtors job to get this handled. Your agent can easily go down to the building department of your community and get a copy of the Approved building permit (if one even exists). As to the EM Check, who was it written too? Normally when a Realtor is involved that check is payable a Title Company or one of the Real Estate offices involved in the transaction. In the State I live in the Real Estate Laws say it MUST be deposited within 3 business days. Have you seen a PreLiminary Title Report yet, read it! Lastly, go online to the Builders Board in your State (or call) and check on the Contractors License and other complaints.
If your Agent is not assisting you then it’s time to visit her Managing Broker and demand answers.

Good luck and come back and report what happens!
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JVille wrote:
You say you have an Agent? This is your Realtors job to get this handled. Your agent can easily go down to the building department of your community and get a copy of the Approved building permit (if one even exists). As to the EM Check, who was it written too? Normally when a Realtor is involved that check is payable a Title Company or one of the Real Estate offices involved in the transaction. In the State I live in the Real Estate Laws say it MUST be deposited within 3 business days. Have you seen a PreLiminary Title Report yet, read it! Lastly, go online to the Builders Board in your State (or call) and check on the Contractors License and other complaints.
If your Agent is not assisting you then it’s time to visit her Managing Broker and demand answers.

Good luck and come back and report what happens!

Yes we have a realtor, I called the building office myself and the permit was issued in Oct. This is a new smaller subdivision which has about 10 houses that have been built so far. WHen we 1st signed the contract we were told that they are waiting for water lines to be put in, that was done. Then I happened to be on our lot and the builder was there by chance I got to meet him, on that day Oct 4th he said they hoped to get started 2 wks from that point. Then I waited the 2wks only to be told that the builder had to wait for his construction loan to close before any more permits were issued, that was the end of Oct. Last thing we were told was that they are waiting for the city to come check water pressure. At that point our lot had already been staked out. I called the city verified the permits were issued, water pressure checked etc. Still nothing else has been done to our lot. They have sold a few more lots since our contract.

I wrote the ernest money check to the Title company and my realtor sent it to them. She was ging to check with them today as to why it has not been cashed and why, no info yet.

Have no idea about a preliminary title report or what that is? I have our contract, is that not the same thing? How do I find the builders board, just google it?

Yes our realtor is doing everything we ask of her, The problem is with the builders realtor and her lack of informing us of delays or start date etc. She has a nasty attitude and tells my realtor that when she has any news to report then she will tell my realtor. Thanks

Message 3 of 12
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So back in Sept we got a pre-approval from a lender so we can start looking for a new built home which we found in a new subdivison close to where we live now. Never having had a new built, we are not familiar with the process. So we signed papers, picked our lot and was told Oct 4th that home shuuld begin within 2 weeks from Oct 4, well here we are a week before Thanksgiving and all that has been done is the staking on our lot. This is a new smaller subdivision and closing date is Feb 14th which I doubt will happen now since they are so late starting. It seems there has been 1 delay after another and the realtor for the builder is not friendly and never has any updates about anything and does not want to be contacted by us but only from our realtor. The other thing that bothers me is that our ernest money check hasn't even been cashed and its going on 3 months, I thought that was supposed to be cashed within a certain time frame? 

We still have to list and sell our current house but can't do anything until they get started on the new one. I realize there is a process to building a new home but this seems beyond ridiculous or am I over reacting? They have everything done and approved by the city to start building, they are now bricking 2 other homes that are almost finished so I am hoping they get started before Dec 1 but who knows at this point. We are just so frustrated with the process and the lack of communication. 

I am very surprised your home is not on the market. It could take possibly many months to sell. And yes, you can do something. When your home is listed, you put in a contigency that closing dates must coincide with the settlement of both homes -- your old home and the new home. Even if your new home is not ready until March 15, what happens if your home doesn't sell by then? Usually a lender makes listing your home as a requirement. 

Also, since the EMD hasn't been cashed, can you get out of the contract without any financial consequences? If so, this may be an option to consider to allieviate some of your stress. My concern is that if the builder is being lackadaisical now, what happens after you move in and there are problems. Will the builder be slow to resolve them? This may not be the type of builder you want to do business with.

Hopefully things will work. Good luck to you.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Our realtor didn't think it would be a good idea to list our current home until footers were in on the new home even with a contingency because not all buyers will want to wait to move in a home they are buying. If we had someplace else to live then it would help the situation, but hubby doesn't want to move more then once or put stuff in a storage. Homes in our area are selling within 1 day of being listed. I am sure we could get out of our contract but since the market doesn't have a lot to choose from for a new build in our price range and the fact we like this floor plan etc. We don't really want another home. I agree with what your saying about the builder, just a new experience for us and not so pleasant at the moment. Thanks

Message 5 of 12
anordblad

I feel your pain.  We signed our contract on 4/2/17 with an estimated closing of 11/2/17.  They did not even break ground until August and have since pushed our closing date back to 3/27/18.  Almost a year!  Our realtor and I have both pushed and pushed with no results and no recourse.  We sold our house and have to be out by the end of the month, so we will be moving twice as well.  It seems that it is just a waiting game, but is very frustrating.  I hope you have better luck.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@anordblad wrote:

I feel your pain.  We signed our contract on 4/2/17 with an estimated closing of 11/2/17.  They did not even break ground until August and have since pushed our closing date back to 3/27/18.  Almost a year!  Our realtor and I have both pushed and pushed with no results and no recourse.  We sold our house and have to be out by the end of the month, so we will be moving twice as well.  It seems that it is just a waiting game, but is very frustrating.  I hope you have better luck.

Sorry you are going through the same thing, It seems so ridiculous in my opinion. The bad thing for us is that the realtor working for the builder is very rude and gives no information and its impossible to get in touch with the builder because his said realtor's phone number is attached to everything. I dread having to deal with her when it does come time for us to have to pick paint,flooring etc. Sadly there are not many new builds going up in the area we live in and looking in other cities/counties we do like the cost is higher then we want or can afford. Our house should of been listed in Sept but because of all the delays our realtor advised against it since my hubby doesn't want to move more then once. Good luck with yours as well!

Message 7 of 12
trusty
Frequent Contributor

It seems like your agent is not exactly earning their fee.   The buyer's agent should be able to handle every aspect - as your intermediary - including relaying which decor items you've chosen.   Further, insofar as listing a home on the market, the agent simply draws up a contingency that's called a, "lease back," so that your current home can be sold tomorrow, but will only be delivered to the new owner, once you are good and ready to move into the new build.

Message 8 of 12
srob67
New Contributor

Wow. We wanted to have a house built but after reading this, I am questioning if we should. Going off the original post, is that expected or is there something fishy going on between the realtor and builder?

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am happy to report that they have broke ground on our new house as of today so we are happy. Nothing fishy between the builder and his realtor, she just doesn't seem like a people person in my opinion. not sure how she even manages to make $$ as a realtor with her bad attitude. I live 1 mile from where it is being built and I drove through today is how I found out they had started, The realtor didn't even contact us our our realtor to let us know they started. We go on monday to pick out our brick color. I assume our closing will be in March now rather then Feb because they started so late. I am just glad they started.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.