Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bi weekly mortgage payment letter

tag
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Bi weekly mortgage payment letter

@sharpie wrote:

When you send in the extra, you need to indicate you want it applied to the principal.

OK - IDK even who my bank is going to be yet bc it hasn't been sold yet, and if it has, noone has contacted me yet.  I hope it's not BoA based on all the hell I've read about them here!

Anyway, what ELSE would the extra be applied to?  Will I be able to just call them up once they figure out who they are and tell them I'm paying an extra 75 bucks each payment and to apply that to the principal?

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 11 of 61
Booner72
Senior Contributor

@sharpie wrote:

All you really need to do is Google "mortgage amortization" and play with a calculator.  You can figure out what a difference any amount will make in time and interest paid.

Thanks, Sharpie - I did just that.  I can get 5 years off w/ just 75.00 extra a month.  THANKS

Message 12 of 61
sharpie
Regular Contributor

@Booner72 wrote:

@sharpie wrote:

When you send in the extra, you need to indicate you want it applied to the principal.

I hope it's not BoA based on all the hell I've read about them here!

Myself, when I finally get up the guts to apply for a mortgage, I am only talking to banks who service their own mortgages so it will never have a chance to be sold to BOA.

Anyway, what ELSE would the extra be applied to? 

Who knows?  If it gets sold to BOA, they might apply it to your neighbors overdraft charges or something.  (HA HA)

Will I be able to just call them up once they figure out who they are and tell them I'm paying an extra 75 bucks each payment and to apply that to the principal?

I would recommend putting it in writing each month with the payment.

In all seriousness, committing to paying extra EACH MONTH on your mortgage will save you a TON of money over the lifetime of the loan.  People who handle their money wisely generally do this.  It is a very common practice and one of the smartest financial moves you can make (next to having an emergency fund).  Even if you can't put a significant amount, if you commit to always pay extra whatever you can each month, you will come out ahead.

Message 13 of 61
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Booner72 wrote:

@sharpie wrote:

OK - IDK even who my bank is going to be yet bc it hasn't been sold yet, and if it has, noone has contacted me yet.  I hope it's not BoA based on all the hell I've read about them here!

Anyway, what ELSE would the extra be applied to?  Will I be able to just call them up once they figure out who they are and tell them I'm paying an extra 75 bucks each payment and to apply that to the principal?

I'm pretty sure the default if you don't specify is usually for any extra to be applied to your next payment.  So if you were to send double your payment in without specifying, the next month you wouldn't have to send a payment.  If you did, it would just advance again.  It's probably specified in your loan documents how overpayments are to be handled if you don't specify what to do with it.

As far as how you let them know, if it's set up for you to pay online, it will probably be as easy as putting the amount you want paid exta in the box labeled principal.  If you're actually mailing checks, probably just write it in the memo section.  

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 61
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

I expect every lender is a bit different but Chase gives me 2 ways online to pay extra principal. The first example is for a one time payment in addition to my regular payment and the second is to set up automatic monthly payments to go to just principal.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Message 15 of 61
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Wow - you guys are really helpful.  I got the letter in the mail that tells me the bank after this post.  (kinda weird).  Wells Fargo.  Better than BoA so I'm happy.

Anyway, I am extremely happy with Academy Mortgage and the results I got from the loan officer I was lucky enough to get.  I don't care that the loan was sold.

I don't have much of an emergency fund which I know makes me a financial loser - but I am definitely commited to paying the extra each month on the mortgage.

Message 16 of 61
sharpie
Regular Contributor

I don't have much of an emergency fund which I know makes me a financial loser - but I am definitely commited to paying the extra each month on the mortgage.

I am a lifelong financial loser, however my goal is to no longer be one by the time I die.   Which hopefully is a ways off since I have a long way to go.

Message 17 of 61
Booner72
Senior Contributor

@sharpie wrote:

I am a lifelong financial loser, however my goal is to no longer be one by the time I die.   Which hopefully is a ways off since I have a long way to go.

You can be my new BFF then, Sharpie!  Losers United.

Message 18 of 61
incognitony
Frequent Contributor

@Booner72 wrote:

@sharpie wrote:

You can be my new BFF then, Sharpie!  Losers United.

Sign me up.

Message 19 of 61
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Sallie-Mae is notorious for paying people ahead. I was finally able to have labels printed for checks saying (acct number, loan number and do not put account in paid ahead status) in hopes of preventing this. Instructions were to make payments online and then send paper checks with instructions.

The check just cleared but I don't want to ruin a holiday weekend by finding out they screwed it up again, LOL! I'm tired of calling every month but giving up would let them win.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 20 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.