Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big score increase since mortgage application

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Big score increase since mortgage application

I know that asking my LO directly is the way to go, but I'm dealing with a local direct lender, which is great, but he is always SUPER busy, so getting a hold of him is sometimes rough.

At time of application, my middle fico was 636, which qualified me for certain programs.  I am currently waiting for the appraisal to come back so we can go into underwriting.  Upon initial review, the LO said there wre 2 open collections that needed to be paid off.  I wheeled and dealed, and got them both paid, and fully deleted from my CR.  They were the only negatives on my CR, and my middle score shot up to 745!  Question is - are they going to continue to look at my application Fico, or will they repull if I ask them?  Or do they normally repull anyway for underwriting?

Another quick question - I have 1 account in dispute, for a missed payment 3 years ago.  The missed payment was actually removed, so there is actually nothing negative in the account.  Do you think they will force me to deal with the creditor to get the 'disputed' note off of it, even though its 100% positive?

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Big score increase since mortgage application

Have you already signed your rate lock and GFE?

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ask for a repull.  That is a significant change and if it holds up will save you alot of money because more options are open to you. 

With the report open look to see what the deal is on the dispute.  If the dispute is on there you're gonna have to deal with it.  The short story on that is a dispute temporaily boosts a score, while the process is going on.  If the decesion reaffirms the negative, your score will drop accordingly=reason most lenders want the dispute settled one way or the other before getting seroius.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, on a different thread two underwriters answered this question about disputes. The dispute does not increase/decrease your score. It's the automatic underwriter that gives the lender the note that the account was ignored when calculating credit risk. So the AU didn't account for that tradeline in the risk. And if there is something owed, then the UW has to account for that in the DTI.

So, the answer from both UW's in that other thread was that if there is $0 owed (or 3 other things I can't remember) or the account said "Consumer Dispute. Dispute Settled" then you don't have to get it removed. Wait for your UW to ask for it to be removed. My LO also told me mine might have to be removed (I have 6 of them). But all of them say Dispute settled so he's waiting to see what UW says before asking me to remove them.

Message 4 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

So, on a different thread two underwriters answered this question about disputes. The dispute does not increase/decrease your score. It's the automatic underwriter that gives the lender the note that the account was ignored when calculating credit risk. So the AU didn't account for that tradeline in the risk. And if there is something owed, then the UW has to account for that in the DTI.

So, the answer from both UW's in that other thread was that if there is $0 owed (or 3 other things I can't remember) or the account said "Consumer Dispute. Dispute Settled" then you don't have to get it removed. Wait for your UW to ask for it to be removed. My LO also told me mine might have to be removed (I have 6 of them). But all of them say Dispute settled so he's waiting to see what UW says before asking me to remove them.

Where?  An active dispute can definitely muck up FICO's algorithm (and change score) as it can entirely discount the tradeline from scoring for some cases. 

Individual lenders can do what they want (with third party mandates for things like conventional mortgages), but to state disputes don't have an effect on score is simply incorrect.

        
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmmm, I thought I read that it only mattered in the DU. Let me see if I can find that thread. It's a good one!

Message 6 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Hmmmm, I thought I read that it only mattered in the DU. Let me see if I can find that thread. It's a good one!

Dispute comments / remarks only matter for DU but that's because it can't distinguish between an active dispute and a dispute comment.

An active dispute though is a no-fly zone generally though maybe that got relaxed?  

@OP: As Bamaguy rightly suggests, get the lender to modify it... and if they won't, forgo the appraisal fee and start over with another lender, but it really shouldn't come to that as current lender knows you can make it work with someone else if needed, or at least after you remind them of that fact.  Fact is your old score and new score are worlds different when it comes to mortgage qualification.

        
Message 7 of 11
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I know that asking my LO directly is the way to go, but I'm dealing with a local direct lender, which is great, but he is always SUPER busy, so getting a hold of him is sometimes rough.

At time of application, my middle fico was 636, which qualified me for certain programs.  I am currently waiting for the appraisal to come back so we can go into underwriting.  Upon initial review, the LO said there wre 2 open collections that needed to be paid off.  I wheeled and dealed, and got them both paid, and fully deleted from my CR.  They were the only negatives on my CR, and my middle score shot up to 745!  Question is - are they going to continue to look at my application Fico, or will they repull if I ask them? they can repull if you ask them.... done all of the time.  Or do they normally repull anyway for underwriting?   other than a soft pull before closing, we do not pull again for underwriting 

Another quick question - I have 1 account in dispute, for a missed payment 3 years ago.  The missed payment was actually removed, so there is actually nothing negative in the account.  Do you think they will force me to deal with the creditor to get the 'disputed' note off of it, even though its 100% positive?  yes

Thanks in advance!

Retired Lender
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, I found the thread and now I see the difference. An active dispute is different than a closed dispute (dispute settled, etc). Active disputes are in process for up to 30 days while closed disputes have a resolution noted. Closed disputes do not impact your credit score because they have been resolved (even if you don't agree), but active ones just might.

Message 9 of 11
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

automated underwriting cannot distinguish between an open dispute and a comment(so they ask for it to be resolved).....  that is why it is a bbig deal.

Retired Lender
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.