Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bonuses as Income?

tag
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

Bonuses as Income?

From what I understand, mortgage lenders take regular bonuses and basically add them up and then divide by 24 to come up with an "average monthly bonus income" to calculate income for DTI. However, how would they treat a sign-on bonus? I received an annual bonus, but also recevied a large sign-on bonus in Feb 2010 when I changed companies (same job category). Would the sign-on just be viewed as a regular bonus and calculated the same way?

Mid-2010 Starting Scores: FAKO EQ 476 FAKO EX 506 FICO TU98 575
July 2017 Current Scores: Approx 710 (waiting for official updates)
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bonuses as Income?

Actually it would not. The reason is that it is a one-time bonus, and would not be expected to continue into the future.

Message 2 of 5
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

That is what I thought, but wanted to double check to be sure.

My regular, annual bonus is actually paid out in two installments at two different times a year (Feb and Aug). I have only been at my current employer for about 18 months and have received one August bonus and one February bonus. Based on my reading of other similar posts, it sounds like I would take those amounts and divide by 24 to get a monthly bonus amount, but is that actually correct since it's really only taking one year's worth of bonuses into account??

Also is there any documentation required for bonuses? Or will it just be evident from my tax return/paystubs that I received a bonus?

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

A Verification of Employment from the employer will break it out.

Message 4 of 5
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

Aha, I didn't realize that the mortgage lender would request an actual document from my employer that explains this... now that makes sense!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.