Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boosting Credit before Pre-Approval

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Boosting Credit before Pre-Approval

Hey all,

I was hoping you all could share your strategies for boosting credit scores before pre-approval.

I've taken advantage of being an authorized user on my wifes best cards and vice versa.

I'm attemping to request a credit line increase on most all of my cards but I'm hesitating. Most of my cards told me this will cause a soft inquiry, not a hard inquiry. I understand the difference between the two, but I'm still concered these soft inquiries may appear and negatively affect my mortgage scores. Any thoughts?

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Boosting Credit before Pre-Approval

Soft inquiries are not a problem and won't affect your score. Just make sure your utilization is under control and nothing is late. If you have any blemishes, now is the time to get rid of them.

Message 2 of 4
Chickenpotpie
Frequent Contributor

Don't take on any new credit, and do not under any circumstances get any hard inquiries.  Softs are ok.  Bring utilization way down.   I got mine down about 15%  (don't go to zero, that can actually dump scores, go figure!)  Make sure you don't have any baddies and keep it that way.

I close in 3 days and kinda freaking out.   I asked the mortage co what they pulled, it was experian.

Message 3 of 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

The mortgage companies pull all 3 and use the middle score. So ^^your middle score is from Experian.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.