Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Botched Loan Advice Needed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Botched Loan Advice Needed

I need a little advice on what happened when I applied for a loan last week.  Went to a local bank and applied for a USDA Guaranteed loan.  Middle was pulled at 655 and we were told it was being sent to USDA and should take 1-2 days.  Three days later I called and was told it should be anytime.  Received an email around day 6 that the "investor" wanted to know a little more about time at job and time at current residence.  No problem, sent the info and waited.  I was told they should know by the end of the day.  After 3 more days I got a vague email to call the processor.  I called and she said we were denied because of debt to income by the investor.  I do not agree with what they said the DTI was (over 54% back end/ I had 43% per my calculations) but I asked if they could request a DTI waiver because we have several compensating factors.  She said that waiver is only for Direct loans which I know is false.  We have income that was not included (social security), job security (government), reverse payment shock (we pay $1450 now vs.. $1100  after), potential for future income (graduating school and my disabled daughter is starting to pay rent this fall).  I would just go somewhere else but my scores fell after their pull.   I feel like we were so close but lost it because of loan processors that didn't know how USDA loans work. Smiley FrustratedCan I call the USDA or something?    Thanks for any advice in advance.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

Re: Botched Loan Advice Needed

The USDA has very little to do with the loan process until the file is done and goes to them at the end, I am learning.  What I have found in my journey is that the investor has to feel like it is a good investment and can apply their own rules and overlays. Even with a DTI waiver, they could have their own maximum DTI set. Did you find out how they calculated the DTI? That seems like a pretty big difference.  Also, why was the SS not included in the income?  If you can get your midscore above 660, there is no need for a DTI waiver form, but DTI limits can still apply, so if I were you, I'd find out what they were doing to reach their figures.

Starting Score: 10/1/2011 EQ 568 TU 593
Current Score: EQ 664 TU 700 EX 701 (FAKO)

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am going to contact them on Monday and find out what figures they used. The social security wasn't used because it is received by my wife and she is not going on the loan because of her fico score.  Something I found odd when I spoke with them last was that because of the DTI they could only approve $60000 through USDA but they tried FHA and could approve $160000 through them.  If the same DTI was used, why the difference?  I have deferred student loans and gave them letters from the servicers stating the anticipated monthly payments.  I'm thinking maybe their high figures were from disregarding those letters and using a percentage of the total balance of the student loans.  I thought that I read that FHA doesn't include deferred student loans if they are 12+ months out, did I read correctly?  It was so crushing to think we would be approved any minute to being denied the next.  Hopefully I will hear something about their figures Monday.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got off the phone with the loan processor.  She said that we were qualified for $120000 FHA and that my deferred student loans were included in the ratio.  I mentioned what I thought the FHA did with deferred loans if they are 13+ months out.  She said FHA rules had changed and that their investor required student loans regardless of deferred date.  I offered to include an additional $1800 per month income for the USDA loan and asked if the lender statements showing the anticipated payments was used.  She said the payments for the student loans were taken off the credit reports.  I have never seen the payments on any credit reports because they are deferred, but what do I know right? Smiley Frustrated I really do not want to use this bank but my score dropped because of their inquiries so I'm stuck.  They keep referring to both loans as secondary financing if that makes any difference. I know there are lender overlays w/ credit score and DTI but with FHA rules regarding deferred student loans? 

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

How much did you credit drop by the inquiries?

You might need to find another broker or bank that are knowledgable. When I was rate shopping for the USDA Guranteed loan I've found that loan processor at Wells Fargo was very helpful and knowledgable. However, I decided to go with the builder's preferred financing due to the incentives.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried to go with another company and two of my scores dropped from 655 to 624. This experience with this bank has been crazy!  They are treating us like subprime borrowers and dismiss anything I say.  I think loan processors do not like people that know what they're talking about! Smiley LOL Can a lender overlay basically change the entire loan for FHA?

Message 6 of 13
Familywantsahouse
Frequent Contributor

I'm so scared this is going to happen to us. I think the middle score will be a 643 (that's what equifax is right now)

I need to make certain we go with a bank who will approve us the first time, and only do one pull.

2/24 (Lender Pull) EQ 613, TU 553, EX 589
April EQ 633, My Fico TU 638, EX ??
Current EQ 643, TU 652, EX 633 (lender pull 5/11)
Goal (we made it!!)- Over 640 middle by 5/15
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you really want to go with the USDA loan (smart choice : ) I would advise you to see a broker.  We are using a broker and are set to close on our USDA Guaranteed loan next week with a mid score of just 620.  The cut off score is normally 640 but some lenders accept 620.  Find a broker!

Message 8 of 13
Familywantsahouse
Frequent Contributor

We aren't local, so if anyone wants to message me a reccomendation for Pasco county, FL. I'd appreciate it. We spoke with our realtor's suggestion who is an "in house" lender and they DO require a 640 middle.

He also insists once the file is UW in house and goes to the USDA it's a done deal, so it's supposed to be a more streamlined process than going through a broker.

I need to figure out if they only do one pull or two....

2/24 (Lender Pull) EQ 613, TU 553, EX 589
April EQ 633, My Fico TU 638, EX ??
Current EQ 643, TU 652, EX 633 (lender pull 5/11)
Goal (we made it!!)- Over 640 middle by 5/15
Message 9 of 13
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I know there are lender overlays w/ credit score and DTI but with FHA rules regarding deferred student loans? 

My LO told me that both USDA and FHA would include student loans regardless of deference/forbearance status. My loans do show a payment on the CRAs even though they are in forbearance (it was the wrong amount, but that's a whole other thread! Smiley Wink )

Starting Score: 10/1/2011 EQ 568 TU 593
Current Score: EQ 664 TU 700 EX 701 (FAKO)

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.