Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brick and Mortar vs. Others for refi and another Q

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Brick and Mortar vs. Others for refi and another Q

Is there a benefit in going with one of the big banks?

I've owned my current home for 15 years and owned a couple other properties prior. I've never been in a position to have good credit, good income, good DTI and good LTV all at the same time before. So I've always dealt with catch-as-catch-can type lenders. Someone in a recent post on the credit card forum mentioned CC companies and other lenders looking at some mortgage lenders more favorably than others. My current loan was done through CashCall Mortgage (their personal loans border on criminal, but I was super happy with them for the home loan process) and is now with Pennymac. If I were to refi I was going to check with Pennymac (get flyers from them all the time), CashCall, and my credit union (but I hear they're S   L   O               w.) After reading that comment here, I thought maybe I shoudl check with Chase, Citi, and US Bank. I've done some looking and I think I could get almost as good of a deal with Chase and Citi as with CashCall or Pennymac. It might cost me 0.25 - 0.75 pt more. Is there a benefit in going with one of the big banks? I have CCs with Chase and Citi and I'm currently working with US Bank on a HELOC. (Their site doesn't give good info on their refi's). 

You already have an older thread talking about the HELOC. Mixing threads can lead to much confusion. Please keep the topics separate.

Thanks for your understanding,

MarineVietVet, myFICO moderator.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Brick and Mortar vs. Others for refi and another Q

I don't think that there is any inherent benefit in going with a big bank over an online source. The only things that matter are APR and closing costs for the loan that you want, not where it comes from. 

Message 2 of 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't think that there is any inherent benefit in going with a big bank over an online source. The only things that matter are APR and closing costs for the loan that you want, not where it comes from. 

Agree with Petrovius.

In fact, I have found that the big banks are not as good as correspondent lenders IME.

Message 3 of 4
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

If I were refinancing today, I would consider a credit union or mortgage banker (not a mortgage broker) and ask for GFIs to help you compare. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.