cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brick or Vinyl Siding? Which would you go with and why?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Brick or Vinyl Siding? Which would you go with and why?

I posted on this board because everyone here is either in a home or lookig to buy one.  I have no experience with vinyl siding and do not know how long it should last or how it should be maintained.  Please educate me I will be a first time home owner and I don't really have anyone that will be able to help me make repairs so anything needed I will have to hire out or else buy a home repair book for dummies.  I am not kidding I can hang a picture that's about it or plant flowers.  I don't recall ever using a drill in my life. I can always learn I hope.

I know that I should get a home inspection,make sure home is not in a flood zone the basic stuff etc. What else should I look at? How do you tell how old a roof is if no obvious signs of leakage if the sales agent does not know?

Some of the new homes in my area have vinyl siding or metal roofs. I will be in this home for many years to come and want to make the right choice in regards to upkeep.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Brick or Vinyl Siding? Which would you go with and why?

I forgot to mention I live in South Alabama about 11 miles from the beach. We have very hot days 90 degree plus starting in mid May all the way through September most of the time.

Message 2 of 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

It's your preference. 

Things to consider:

1) What is the predominate material in the neighborhood in which you are purchasing?

2) Which is better from a long term maintenance point of view? Is the brick easier to maintain?

3) Is there a cost difference at the time of purchase?

4) Does the house have a higher value with brick than with vinyl siding?  Where I am (S Florida), a vinyl siding home is worth much less than CBS (which is our common material here). This has nothing to do with builders costs. It is strictly a market value difference. 

5) Is there a difference in your homeowners insurance premium between a home with vinyl siding and one with brick?

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have heard that a brick home is cheaper to insure and also that brick has lower maintenance costs (provided it is not painted) and also has lower energy bills. That said I don't really care for the squat brick homes in the orange color that are prominent for brick homes in my area so I prefer the vinyl/brick facade combo.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your insight. I did not think about the possible price difference in home owner's insurance.  It's definitely something to think about.  I'm a little ways still from being able to buy but I am trying to think about these things so that I will be ready when the time comes.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.