cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Builder trying to make us use their lender...

tag
mynameainttracy
Established Contributor

Builder trying to make us use their lender...

My husband and I sat down with the builder to reserve our lot. We have been looking in this new homes neighborhood for 3 years and finally after fixing our credit and building up our savings we were ready to go and had our NFCU VA loan pre-qual in hand. 

When we starting filling out papers and talking details they tell us that if we want to do a VA loan we can only use their preferred lender (Wells Fargo) because they have had so many delays with VA loan closings with other lenders. 

We are pretty much floored. We may be stubborn but we are digging our heels in on this one. Is this even legal?  Has anyone had an experience with something similar? 

Thanks

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: Builder trying to make us use their lender...

I don't think it is legal.

I think they can legally say that they would PREFER you use their lender if you are doing a VA loan, but they can't force it.

They do however, have the option to accept or to reject your purchase offer.

I'd talk to them some more.  Lay it on the table.  

Is this a deal breaker for you???

Message 2 of 14
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

IOBA is right. They can make it a condition for you to get an approval from their lender before they will accept your offer, but they can NOT make you use the lender. They can tie incentives to using their lender too.

Message 3 of 14
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

This is an interesting topic.  I was discussing it earlier today with some cohorts.

http://www.searchlightcrusade.net/2013/07/respa_forbids_steering_even_ju.html is a good read.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 14
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Very interesting article Shane! Looks like the builders and REO listings that require PQ's by one particular lender would be in hot water here....

Message 5 of 14
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

Very interesting article Shane! Looks like the builders and REO listings that require PQ's by one particular lender would be in hot water here....

Potentially.  Although I am figuring the author of the article probably isn't a RESPA attorney, but it certainly sounds convincing.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 6 of 14
mynameainttracy
Established Contributor

With NFCU, they were giving us $1500 closing assistance so right off the bat this will cost us more out of pocket but this is really less about the money and more about how wrong this feels. We feel like we are being bullied into doing what they want. 

As of now we are standing our ground and trying to get them to back off and let us use our lender. Why should we make a 30 year loan decision based on the possibilities of some delays or aggravation to them? That just seems silly.

Message 7 of 14
mynameainttracy
Established Contributor

Message 8 of 14
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

IOBA is right. They can make it a condition for you to get an approval from their lender before they will accept your offer, but they can NOT make you use the lender. They can tie incentives to using their lender too. <== that is what they usually do

if it were me in this predicament.... i would ask him to put that in writing......  

illegal

Retired Lender
Message 9 of 14
mynameainttracy
Established Contributor

Just an update. We stood our ground and the builder gave in and will let us use our lender. Because they gave in, I told them I would at least talk to their lender and investigate using them. We have an appointment to sign the contract on Thursday and a tentative closing date in early April. 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.