Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building a house

tag
foofighter74
Established Contributor

Re: Building a house

We will hopefully be building with Ryan Homes here in the Syracuse area as well by the end of the month.  Not using NVR mortgage though.  We really didn't add much in terms of upgrades, because as was pointed out, you're increasing your property tax bill in this area. Where we are, the taxes are astronomical as it is.  In addition, the upgrades are so overpriced that you then need to worry about the appraisal when the house is built. So we added a morning room. Every other upgrade we could probably pay for in cash if we needed to - kitchen island, recessed lighting, etc.

Message 21 of 42
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Our builder, Highland Homes only builds in Texas.

Message 22 of 42
Autumnslight
Frequent Contributor

I hear you on astronomical property taxes! The one upgrade that I found to be a good value for the cost was the finished basement. For us, it works out to like $20/sq ft, which is less than we could have it done for. I'm sure that varies by location though.

Scores:
07/29/12: EX FICO (Amex) 684 | EQ MyFICO 631 | TU Walmart 695
Current: EX FICO (MyFICO) 733 | EQ (MyFICO) 683 | TU (Walmart) 745

First Goal: 700+ across the board - Got it on EX & TU!!!
Message 23 of 42
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Property taxes in Texas are crazy, we are paying 2.5 percent a year.

Message 24 of 42
Autumnslight
Frequent Contributor

The area I'm looking at is about 3.5%. And it is by no means extremely "upscale" or wealthy. :/

Scores:
07/29/12: EX FICO (Amex) 684 | EQ MyFICO 631 | TU Walmart 695
Current: EX FICO (MyFICO) 733 | EQ (MyFICO) 683 | TU (Walmart) 745

First Goal: 700+ across the board - Got it on EX & TU!!!
Message 25 of 42
foofighter74
Established Contributor

@Autumnslight wrote:

I hear you on astronomical property taxes! The one upgrade that I found to be a good value for the cost was the finished basement. For us, it works out to like $20/sq ft, which is less than we could have it done for. I'm sure that varies by location though.

We were thinking about that as well. Ultimately, I decided I wanted to do it myself.  We actually have to get the loan first - we were pre-approved after the mortgage company looked at our credit reports, W-2's, pay stubs, tax returns, etc...but we have to wait until the middle of this month to actually fill out the loan app because we are waiting out my wife's 2 year bk discharge date. 

Our initial deposit has already been paid, and we're still trying to squeeze out a little more closing cost help from them in the meantime in exchange for adding a few upgrades after my wife received a $15,000/year promotion. lol.

Message 26 of 42
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Wow 3.5 is crazy, at least here in Texas we do not have income so im kind of ok about the higher property taxes lol

Message 27 of 42
foofighter74
Established Contributor

@Autumnslight wrote:

The area I'm looking at is about 3.5%. And it is by no means extremely "upscale" or wealthy. :/

Same here.  Thank God for Star tax credits!

Message 28 of 42
rubu
Valued Member

Not to make Upstate folks feel bad. Ryan homes does cheap work. Please avoid the pain. I work for a huge company here and all had bad experiences. Try to go with a local builder. They do much quality work than Ryan homes which does cookie cutter homes. I am not saying mine is better than Ryan but I have heared loads of horror stories.

Message 29 of 42
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

My grandmother was born in Rochester, NY! I have family out there but never had the chance to go out there to see them so they are the family that I never met.

Lennar offers some sweet upgrades! There are a couple of other Lennar communities nearby and the prices start out at $450K base price. We went driving through those neighborhoods one day and all I can say is WOW! 4 car garages! OMG! :-O We probably couldn't ever afford that but they were definitely eye candy. LOL! :-) I imagine the ones they build in CA are priced pretty steep too.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 30 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.