Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building a new home journey with PICS

tag
adymax
Contributor

Re: Advice- building a new home

@swtneka Thank You for your support. If any of you is building a house feel free to post pictures and  your journey. 

Message 11 of 86
keyelove
New Contributor

This area looks familiar. I'm in the process of building as well in the southwest suburbs of Chicago. We are hoping for a commitment tomorrow as we only have a couple of days to get our money back. We've put down all our earnest money so I'm so.....nervous.

Congrats on starting the process and I look forward to following your journey.

Starting Score Early 2013: TU - 556 & EF - 552 & EXP - 591
Current Score 10/09/14 (MyFico): TU - 666 & EF - 665 & EXP- 711
Goal Score: 730 Across all 3 bureaus
Message 12 of 86
adymax
Contributor

Small world. We are building SW of Chicago also. I sent you a PM (Private Mess).

Message 13 of 86
foofighter74
Established Contributor

@Amythyst wrote:

But, I'm the same way as you... I just keep thinking something is going to happen like this can't be true or this can't be so easy... I read lots of mortgage horror stories on the boards and I get so freaked out that mine is just going smoothly.  Its funny that we seem to panic more about stuff when nothing bad is happening afraid that something bad will happen then if it just didn't go smooth right from the get go. 

I pepper my loan officer with questions all the time because I'm scared I will find out I owe more money then they have told me or they'll find something in my file that they overlooked before ... but he's really patient with me and always responds and assures me.  I went with a local smaller builder and they seem to be very customer focused and informative. 

They basically told me to relax and enjoy the process instead of freaking out so much. Smiley Happy  They let me do my earnest money deposit in monthly payments, they let me push my closing date out really far from what they would have wanted just so I could save up more money, they agreed to give me more closing cost assistance then they would usually give, my lender allowed me to do an 80 day lock in for free and I get a 1 time rate reduction if the rates go below what I locked in. I'm getting a lender credit as well.... so far, I'm super happy with the process.  I just need to stop worrying so much. Smiley Wink

You really do.  We just closed on our house last wednesday. It was a new construction.  Late in January we were pre-approved, but we needed a point or two on my wife's credit scores before we could close.  We had tons of time, as they weren't even set to excavate until March, but we wound up getting her score way up by the end of February.  Anyway, the process was very simple and smooth.  When a builder is putting their own money upfront to buy a lot, secure permits, pay for materials, and salaries, and so forth to start construction - they require a very firm, well-researched commitment from the lender to make sure that their is a very high likelihood that you're going to get the loan when the house is completed.  It's very unlikely they would have overlooked anything that could tank your chances at closing. 

Our loan officer was terrible.  Getting any information out of her was incredibly difficult.  she's an older woman, she's not well-trained with computers, and she thinks all she has to say, to ANY question is "relax, i'll worry about everything, you relax". So the actual loan officer made our process far more stressful than it needed to be.  The truth was, our credit reports were very clean, we had the necessary funds in our account, and there really wasn't much to worry about.

If you have a loan officer that responds, and answers questions as honestly and efficiently as possible, then you're all set. 

Message 14 of 86
basballguy
Frequent Contributor

My process hasn't been quite like this.  My builder just required the pre approval letter from the lender to start building.  I actually haven't even met my loan officer face to face yet or even signed a form.  (I'm not using preferred lender either).  I have faxed paystubs, W2s, etc to the loan officer to receive the pre approval but I'm fairly certain UW doesn't even know I exist. 

Message 15 of 86
keyelove
New Contributor

@basballguy wrote:

My process hasn't been quite like this.  My builder just required the pre approval letter from the lender to start building.  I actually haven't even met my loan officer face to face yet or even signed a form.  (I'm not using preferred lender either).  I have faxed paystubs, W2s, etc to the loan officer to receive the pre approval but I'm fairly certain UW doesn't even know I exist. 

Our builder won't even start builing or pick up the permit without a firm commitment letter (completely underwritten file). We'll see what happens today.

Starting Score Early 2013: TU - 556 & EF - 552 & EXP - 591
Current Score 10/09/14 (MyFico): TU - 666 & EF - 665 & EXP- 711
Goal Score: 730 Across all 3 bureaus
Message 16 of 86
Rindy
Valued Member

Your lender sounds amazing! Who is your builder?

Starting Score: 593
Current Score: 652
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 17 of 86
adymax
Contributor

Our builder said the same, start building after they get UW approval, that never happened and our local LO gave the OK to start building because she is confident we get approved.  We have to deal with a LO in Denver over the internet which is a pin but luckily  they have a LO local also which we met. Lender is builder’s company.

Message 18 of 86
adymax
Contributor

They marked the lot with flags and paint spray and they will start digging at the end of this week.  They scheduled the delivery date for the end of October. We have to meet with the construction manager soon but he didn’t call us yet to schedule a meeting. 

Message 19 of 86
swtneka
Frequent Contributor

Oooh how exciting.. I cant w8 til its more than just dirt and flags....

Message 20 of 86
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.