Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buy a house in 2 years

tag
Narnia1
Valued Member

Buy a house in 2 years

Good morning everyone,

My husband I and have decided that we would like to buy a house in 2 years time.  Meanwhile we try to save money for downpayment as much as possible and to see which part of the city we really  want to settle down, together we both would have better credit history by that time.

Our credit scores are both now 700's and having one auto loan payment which should be paid off before we apply for a mortgage loan.  Our house hold income is 95K so...

I would like to know that what is the price range of the house we would be possibly qualified for based on our household income.  Personally I am thinking about a 150K small house in a good neighborhood.  Is it possible?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
CreditJim
Established Contributor

Re: Buy a house in 2 years

You could easily do 150k right now if what you've said is true.

Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 2 of 9
Narnia1
Valued Member

@breedo wrote:

You could easily do 150k right now if what you've said is true.

Thank you Breedo,

We are not ready, we just bought a new car and we have some travelling plans this year and next year so ....  Plus we want to wait and save up for downpayment as much as possible.  The plan to buy a house just came up after buying a car and travelling plans...we wish we could change the plans too.

Message 3 of 9
sugspc1
Established Member

If you can, now is the best time to buy with rates a low as they are. In 2 years time, rates could be back up to 7% and 8%.  As of today they jumped to 4.4% You can easliy afford a home up to 250K depending on your debt to income ratios. If you want to go USDA you need very little out of pocket to purchase a home.  NO down payment loans!  Better than FHA right now.  We wanted to jump on this great time to buy our home.  Everyone is different and has plans. We bought new cars last year and when I saw how great the market was with rates I worked hard on getting my scores up to buy a home. 

Your scores a great and can easliy get a home. Might be something to think about seriously, Smiley Wink

~Jennifer~

Score Avg 651

Message 4 of 9
Narnia1
Valued Member

@sugspc1 wrote:

If you can, now is the best time to buy with rates a low as they are. In 2 years time, rates could be back up to 7% and 8%.  As of today they jumped to 4.4% You can easliy afford a home up to 250K depending on your debt to income ratios. If you want to go USDA you need very little out of pocket to purchase a home.  NO down payment loans!  Better than FHA right now.  We wanted to jump on this great time to buy our home.  Everyone is different and has plans. We bought new cars last year and when I saw how great the market was with rates I worked hard on getting my scores up to buy a home. 

Your scores a great and can easliy get a home. Might be something to think about seriously, Smiley Wink

Thank you so much sugspc1

People told me that as well that this is the best time to buy a house. I wish we can just buy one right now but at least we have a plan.  We never thought to settle down at a certain place before, we occasionally relocate to new place every few years. 

Message 5 of 9
CreditJim
Established Contributor

With credit and income like yours you could most likely get a conventional mortgage with little down. My credit union, for example, is doing conventional loans with 5% down. As others have said, great time to do it. Whatever you decide, good luck, keep that credit good and you'll be good whenever you decide.

Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 6 of 9
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

There are also conventional loans with 3% down that you probably will be able to qualify for with your score. My midscore was 725 and I qualified for that via my mortgage banker

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 7 of 9
Narnia1
Valued Member

@breedo wrote:

With credit and income like yours you could most likely get a conventional mortgage with little down. My credit union, for example, is doing conventional loans with 5% down. As others have said, great time to do it. Whatever you decide, good luck, keep that credit good and you'll be good whenever you decide.

Thank you again breedo, 

You are right, I know we can rely on credit union.  We decided to take an auto loan from credit union as well, in order to enrich my credit profile ...but for some reasons when the auto loan account was addedd, my score dropped 11 points.  Hopefully it will eventually goes up as we pay.  We plan to be out of the country next year for 4 months....that's one of the main reasons we want to wait till we come back.  And hopefully the rate won't go up dramatically by that time Smiley Sad

Message 8 of 9
Narnia1
Valued Member

@aussiesareforever wrote:

There are also conventional loans with 3% down that you probably will be able to qualify for with your score. My midscore was 725 and I qualified for that via my mortgage banker

Thank you Aussie, that sounds really good Woman Happy

I get really excited and impatient everytime I know that my husband and I can possibably walk in and get something. Well, time goes fast let's see what will happen.  Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.