Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buy or Rent (Need some advice)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Buy or Rent (Need some advice)

Thanks for everyone's advice.  I will go ahead with my rent plan and rent for 6 months (5 if I could) to eliminate the lengthy drive to work daily and give myself more time and the experience of living on my own and paying a "mortgage" like payment.

In 12 months from now, I'll have saved up enough to put something good down and have a good 4-6 months backup in savings for both unexpected repairs and unexpected layoffs.

Thanks again for your help!

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

To put the icing on the cake, my loan counselor advised that it is better to pay rent prior to purchasing a home because it is looked at as a "shock" payment to pay mortgage if you have not previously paid rent or something along those lines. It made sense to me.
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

As another thought, for when/if you do decide to purchase, you can always get a condo or a townhome and that way the only repairs you're looking at are the ones inside the home.  You'll have to pay a monthly fee, but you won't need to worry about the roof/siding/driving/lawn, etc. 
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.