cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying $400k home in Seattle (first time home buyer)

tag
Lemmus
Established Contributor

Re: Buying $400k home in Seattle (first time home buyer)

...LOL ...you have an "understanding" wife ...mine knows a toy when she sees it ...and if we did own one, she'd be driving it Smiley LOL

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 11 of 23
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Lemmus wrote:

@ezdriver wrote:

...but I'm still wanting to buy a Porsche 911 these days. After all, I need a car. lol

...a Porsche 911 is NOT a car, its a toy ...once upon a time long long ago I owned one ...these days a Volvo gets me there Smiley Tongue

lol...my husband bought one in the late 1980s and it started the road to divorce....obviously it didn't cause the divorce, it was a symptom of trouble....

To this day I can't look at a sporty car without thinking of it

Message 12 of 23
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

a 2007 car with only 16 miles on it?!?!?!  or do you mean 16k? Smiley Very Happy

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 13 of 23
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@frugalQ wrote:

a 2007 car with only 16 miles on it?!?!?!  or do you mean 16k? Smiley Very Happy

16k miles.

Message 14 of 23
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Back to the OP's challenge... $400k does not buy much home in many parts of the country. I sold  my three-bedroom condo in Ridgefield CT for $650k...in 2005!

Message 15 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

EZ came in and said-

"After all, I need a car."

So do you need IT, or want it?

Message 16 of 23
Lemmus
Established Contributor

...I live in Palm Beach county in FL so 450k isn't high end by any means ...but it will still get you a nice home as long as you don't want more than a postage stamp to put it on ...but I have been amazed to hear some of the tales here about 450k getting you a lot less in places like SF and NYC metro ...its not just the weather that brings half of NY & NJ here to retire ...I can go an hour west of where I live now and buy 3br/2ba/2Acres for well under 100k ...nice places that you'd be ok with raising a family in. 

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Message 17 of 23
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Lemmus wrote:

...I live in Palm Beach county in FL so 450k isn't high end by any means ...but it will still get you a nice home as long as you don't want more than a postage stamp to put it on ...but I have been amazed to hear some of the tales here about 450k getting you a lot less in places like SF and NYC metro ...its not just the weather that brings half of NY & NJ here to retire ...I can go an hour west of where I live now and buy 3br/2ba/2Acres for well under 100k ...nice places that you'd be ok with raising a family in. 

So we are neighbors???

Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lemmus wrote:

what uncle lemmus said.  In many places 100k household income not all that much, but here in Alabama a guy lives very well on that salary.  Just a guess but he prolly lives as well as guy in NY on 300 or more?

Message 19 of 23
Lemmus
Established Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

So we are neighbors???

...this is news? ..thought we'd covered that a couple times ....lets just say you're among the "elite" here, eh Smiley Wink

..if I hadn't decided to go USDA, you'd have been my first choice ...but alas, even Loxahatchee isn't rural by their standards Smiley Sad 

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.