Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying After Short Sale not on Primary

tag
VanRickets
Established Member

Buying After Short Sale not on Primary

My husband was the only signer on our mortgage note.  However, I was listed on the HELOC.  We defaulted on both to B of A in August, 2011.  The short sale closed in October 2012.  The only negative on my report is the charge off on the HELOC.  All other payments have never been late.  My FAKE-O score is 725.  I recently paid off my motorcycle loan with Honda and that is not yet reflected.  My car will be paid off with Chase in December or sooner if I choose.  I expect my score to increase somewhat.  So, if I leave my husband off of the mortgage, do I still have the 3 year wait with FHA and 2 year with conventional?

FICO 715 FAKO 739
Chase Freedom 14,500
Chase Slate 6,700
US Bank 14,500
Discover 15,000
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: Buying After Short Sale not on Primary

A 725 FAKO score means absolutely nothing. It could relate to a 500 FICO score for all we know.

Without getting an idea of atleast one true FICO score, I wouldnt even appease the idea.

Paying off installment loans usually do not play a major impact in FICO scoring. You may see an increase, you may not, and a small few have actually lost points once the installment loans were all paid off since it changes your mix of credit.

With the short sale closing just a few months ago, your HELOC is also part of the short sale.

Generally speaking without getting in to major detail, most Lenders will not approve you with any missed, late payments, etc etc..  within the last 12 months on any home loan.

The next issue you may run into depending on how much was owed, what if they require you to pay it off? Not saying they will, but it is possible as a condition.

Suggestion would be to find out what your FICO score is or atleast one of them at minimum, and see what you may have to do to improve them if needed. If your scores are in a qualifying state in your situation 640 and up and the higher the better. Then keep your present credit obligations in order, no missed payments, no lates, etc etc..

You could try USDA (if qualify in area and income resrtictions) for a faster turn around on waiting period, or VA.

As of right now even if FHA would accomadate your situation with a shorter wait period, since you have had a home loan with missed, late, or non payment on your HELOC you would still probably have to wait a minimum of 12 months.

Now another option you have is to look into the NACA program and see if thats something you qualify for.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 2 of 5
VanRickets
Established Member

Thanks.  We are not required to pay off the HELOC.  The amount was $150k, but all of it was spent on home improvement.  We keep receipts, too.

i'm leasing a home until May 2014 and would rather buy than extend the lease.  Fixer upper homes that are priced under $500k get snapped up in a few days.  I need to be ready to act a when one appears.  In the Seattle area, it is a seller's market with inventory at 4 months supply.

I make about $120k annually and my husband makes $100k.  My husband lost his job, looked for work over 3 months, then we had to move for him to find work. We moved from Tampa to Seattle.

My credit card ratios are good, have high limits, and established credit for over 20 years.  I will get my real FICO score.  I get all my scores annually and the have been the same or higher than my fake-o score, but things change.

FICO 715 FAKO 739
Chase Freedom 14,500
Chase Slate 6,700
US Bank 14,500
Discover 15,000
Message 3 of 5
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Thats a little while away, things may change by then. I would probably start looking into your situation later this year around the December time period or early next year the January time period.

Find out what you would need at the present time, and how the HELOC being included in short sale will impact things.

Start saving as much as you can and keep rebuilding both your credit scores and credit profiles in the mean time. The objective is to show an excellent responsibility towards credit usage since the default (short sale considered default even if havent missed a payment).

You will be a home owner again, just a few steps that may take a little time have to take place first.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 4 of 5
VanRickets
Established Member

I decided to pull my scores to take a look.  My TU is 681 and EQ is 687.  Both show the charge off for the short sale and my last late payment 7 months ago.  Other than student loans, I should be debt free by December.  

It looks like we will be extending our lease for another year, maybe two, to try and save more money.  Our rent will be going up from $2795 to $2845.  It would be cheaper to buy, but I haven't found anything comparable to the house we owned in Florida for under $1 million.  House prices suck in the Seattle area!

FICO 715 FAKO 739
Chase Freedom 14,500
Chase Slate 6,700
US Bank 14,500
Discover 15,000
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.