Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying New Construction Loan Qualifying Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Buying New Construction Loan Qualifying Question

I currently live in a mortgaged home in CT.  I will be looking to buy a new contruction home in a couple years in a southern state.  Construction can take around 7 months on the new home so I'd like to stay in my current home in CT as they build.  What I don't know is how a lender will look at the situation.  Will they use my current income (current job) to qualify for the new home or will they require that I have a job in the local area?  I'd rather not have to move and live in temporary quarters if I don't have to.  I will be able to find similiar work where I will be relocating but once I have a new job I would likely have to start within a few weeks.  I want to do a VA loan but I think there are residency restrictions. Any suggestions, experiences, advice, ideas, are most appreciated!!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
NC_Mtg_Loaner
Valued Contributor

Re: Buying New Construction Loan Qualifying Question

Great questions lead to more great questions.

Are you currently using your VA Benefits on your current loan?

You will find it easier to obtain a new loan if you are either transferring with your current employer or already have income from a new employer or a Job Offer Letter from a prospective employer so that your future lender can verify that your income you'll use to pay back your new loan is stable. 

Licensed NC Mortgage Loan Originator
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Buying New Construction Loan Qualifying Question

Smiley Happy No, I have am not currently using my VA benefits for my current loan.  I sort of figured as much but you never know if someone has had a similiar situation so I figured I'd ask.  Thanks for your reply!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.