Reply
Established Member
Posts: 23
Registered: ‎08-01-2007
0

Buying a car right before going for mortgage pre-approval

 
My wife and I will be going for mortgage pre-approval in the end of September / beginning of October.
 
We also need to get a car.
 
She has great credit and a lot of money in the bank.
 
I have poor credit with a Fico of 670 and several ugly blemishes on my record (several credit cards which went in to default and were settled or paid off in full).  However, I am doing fine now and have been on solid ground for approx 1.5 to 2 years.
 
Will buying a car in September, right before the mortgage pre-approval, negatively impact my Fico?  And if so, how seriously will it effect my score?
 
Should this act be avoided until after the mortgage pre-approval?
 
 
Regular Contributor
Posts: 126
Registered: ‎05-12-2007
0

Re: Buying a car right before going for mortgage pre-approval

The bottom line is, if at all possible, you and your wife should WAIT to purchase the car until AFTER you purchase and go to closing on your house.  Most lenders do not like to see you trying to obtain more credit when you are trying to buy a house.  If I were in your shoes and I absolutely needed a car, I would utilize 3 to 4 thousand dollars of my wife's cash and buy an older used Honda to drive for a couple months, and then sell it after you close on you new house and go for the purchase of the car you want.
Emy
New Member
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎08-19-2007
0

Re: Buying a car right before going for mortgage pre-approval

It affect your score. Beware that the bank will check again your score, just before closing. My bank checked the score again to see if anything was changed with 2 days before closing. Good luck with the house.
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 473
Registered: ‎03-06-2007
0

Re: Buying a car right before going for mortgage pre-approval



NewHomeBuyer wrote:
 
My wife and I will be going for mortgage pre-approval in the end of September / beginning of October.
 
We also need to get a car.
 
She has great credit and a lot of money in the bank.
 
I have poor credit with a Fico of 670 and several ugly blemishes on my record (several credit cards which went in to default and were settled or paid off in full).  However, I am doing fine now and have been on solid ground for approx 1.5 to 2 years.
 
Will buying a car in September, right before the mortgage pre-approval, negatively impact my Fico?  And if so, how seriously will it effect my score?
 
Should this act be avoided until after the mortgage pre-approval?
 
 


Since your wife has excellent credit, are you atleast a AU on any of her cc accounts?  If not I would have her add you to the ones that are the oldest and have clean payment history.  This will bump your score up to get a even better mortgage rate 
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 351
Registered: ‎04-02-2007
0

Re: Buying a car right before going for mortgage pre-approval



Emy wrote:
It affect your score. Beware that the bank will check again your score, just before closing. My bank checked the score again to see if anything was changed with 2 days before closing. Good luck with the house.

I've heard people talk of some having their credit checked again within minutes of signing the paperwork.  I'll be biting my nails until the last John Hancock is in ink.
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 6,182
Registered: ‎03-29-2007
0

Re: Buying a car right before going for mortgage pre-approval

Definitely wait. You do no want to "spook" the lender.
Established Member
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎07-16-2007
0

Re: Buying a car right before going for mortgage pre-approval

I don't a 670 is a bad, it's actually average!
Regular Contributor
Posts: 158
Registered: ‎07-16-2007
0

Re: Buying a car right before going for mortgage pre-approval

I wouldn't do it. Your lender might balk and say hold on we can't fund this loan.
EX. 780 TU 794.
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 436
Registered: ‎06-15-2007
0

Re: Buying a car right before going for mortgage pre-approval

Agreed. WAIT! WAIT! WAIT!

Tuscani wrote:
Definitely wait. You do no want to "spook" the lender.



Established Member
Posts: 23
Registered: ‎08-01-2007
0

Re: Buying a car right before going for mortgage pre-approval

 
 
Thank you all for the feedback.
 
I am definitely going to wait on the car.
 
The house is the primary objective and we must not do anything that could potentially derail that.
 
Thanks.
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.